Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Man 3D Prints a Really Cool and Functional Slingbow

3D printed weapons are a contentious issue, but most are meant for more harmless activities and hobbies, rather than any intent of harm. Items such as slingbows -- a cross between a slingshot and a bow -- fall into this latter category, and Raymus Munt has never shied away from a challenge. When his friend showed him a slingbow, Munt decided to create his own version for his friend, and set about complicated design work. Based on a design from the Slingshot channel's Jörg Sprave, the Rambone, Munt reworked the original STL files in Autodesk Maya and Mudbox, adding other features he thought would work well, and ultimately made his own "Slingbone." 3D printed on his Wanhao Duplicator 4, and including a few non-3D-printed parts, the Slingbone is a highly accurate and very powerful bow, with files now available on Thingiverse. For video of Munt's Slingbone in action, as well as more details about its creation, check out the full article: http://3dprint.com/56021/3d-printed-slingbow/
    Below is a photo of the Slingbone:

Wink

Thanks for sharing this Eddie, it was a lot of fun to make. Me and my friends have had a lot of fun destroying archery targets and scrap wood with these

Almost put my eye out mind you when I failed to tie the bands on properly. So if anyones gonna try this get yourself a pair of safety goggles and always know that there's nothing down range from you that you could harm (the arrows go a long ways).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol if you're starting with one of joerg's creations you can't go far wrong :-)

Now if someone would just create a printable verison of his semiauto pencil crossbow. I'd be a very happy aardvark.

So what's a whisker biscuit and why can't you make your own ?
    I think it's the thing that holds the arrow in the centre of the circle.
    Don't see why you can't make one with a material like polyflex or semi-flex.
    Looks like a pretty simple design.

I saw the video of Barnacules printing and testing the Rambone. It packed a mean punch.

I understand why some people are wary of the 3D printer availability. In the wrong hands a 3D printer could probably be used for evil, but the same could be said about a car, or a cricket bat...

yeah even a frozen leg of lamb has been used as a murder weapon.

Things don't kill people, people kill people.
    Certain things just make it easier to accidentally injure yourself.

And as I say: you can't legislate for idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    \

Agree. Doesn't stop 'em trying though...

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    yeah even a frozen leg of lamb has been used as a murder weapon.

Things don't kill people, people kill people.
    Certain things just make it easier to accidentally injure yourself.

Rofl.... some bad idea t-shirts....

Guns don't kill people, Fathers with pretty (grand)daughters kill people.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands who come home early kill people.
    Guns don't kill people, Its mostly the bullets.
    Guns don't kill people, Cars do.

If yall can blame guns for killing people, I can blame keboards for spelling errors and Rosie O'Donnell can blame spoons for being fat.

^^-- Yes the type-o was intentional.

So what's a whisker biscuit and why can't you make your own ? I think it's the thing that holds the arrow in the centre of the circle.
    Don't see why you can't make one with a material like polyflex or semi-flex.
    You're right, it's a glorified piece of draft excluder. You could definitely make one of your own. Some people successfully use toothbrush heads (my original mashup used these, but I never tested it). I've also seen that Joerg has a new design called the Slotbow which looks like it works very effectively and has no need for a whisker biscuit.

If I get time I'd like to take more of Joerg's design decisions across, his whisker biscuit version has some nice areas for resting his thumb on.

slotbow would be easily printed.

Presumably the way you slot the arrow will line it up the same way each time.

Had some chats with joerg a while back when he joined slinging.org for a time.
    Just the nicest guy and a total and complete nutter - in the the best possible way.