Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

stops feeding PLA in the middle of a print?

Printer has been working good for awhile and haven't had any real issues. Tried to use it today for a 6 hour print and it printed about 10% good then after that the printer continued to do its thing but it stopped feeding filament.
    So no big deal, unloaded it, loaded it and it was fine. Tried it again and same results, this time I noticed a kink in the back where the filament was feeding into the liner. No big deal, started it again and again 10% or so through it it stopped feeding the PLA.

Could it be a bad spool of wire? Tried it on 2 different files and same results. Any ideas on what is causing this or how I should fix it?
    I want to try using the other extruder but not sure if I had to change the settings before exporting it or if I can just shove PLA into the other head and hit go.

Make sure the filament is wound properly on its spool - specifically that it is not wound with overlaps that can stop the extruder gear from feeding filament. I had this problem with one spool and had to completely re-wind it onto another one.

Also make sure the "teeth" in your extruder gear are not clogged. There should be zero slippage when the gear feeds filament. Sometimes the gear teethgets partially filled up with filament dust and this can cause miss-feeds - or no feeds.

Student
    Ah good to know. I'll look into it. Thanks

Student
    So I think I got past that point. I keep trying to continue my print and keep getting this. I tried 2 different rolls of PLA. Never had this issue either. I also re leveled the bed and all is good there.
    This happens maybe between 30- 50% through

Student
    lol been printing non stop since last night and everyone has the same issue.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it's a crap finish - but what's your actual problem ?

Student
    that is whats happening halfway though the print so i just stop it early and toss it. otherwise the nozzle keeps hitting it every time it passes over it.
    Not sure what else to check. bed is level, tried 2 rolls of pla, tried higher temps from 208 to 211 on the pla and bed at 50 and 55*C. not sure what else, but i'm ready to pull my hair out

You calibrate your extruder correctly? Is the filament diameter correct? Just throwing some obvious ones out there...

Since it is PLA, have you put a fan to cool everything ?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    one thing that might make a difference is the difference between print speed and travel speed.

If you print at say 50mm/s and have your travel speed at 100mm/s I find that the sudden acceleration often pulls soft filament up and creates those sort of peaks that heads will catch on.

These days I pretty much make the travel and print speed the same. This avoids the pulling on soft filament.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast