Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Engineer-in-Training
    The expensive sprays is just to add a white matt surface to the object, you can use whatever you like, even hairspray is great to make the object matt.
    those expensive sprays lets you wipe it off without any residue left

if you scan an object with light and dark areas there will be a surface (scale) difference in the final scan,
    so it's better to make the object one solid colour or tone down the difference between the dark and lighter parts.

Scanning geometric smooth objects is not easy, because the software has no reference where one part ends and the next scan part begins, it needs a reference,
    a trick it to stick small black dots in a random pattern on the surface and inside to let to software see those reference points.

PUTTIN-ON-DOTS.jpg
    Last edited by This; 05-03-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Technologist
    I've been trying chalk spray recently.
    Works pretty well, easy to remove and cheap.

I've tried the dots, and also tried using stick on rubber feet which are raised rectangular shapes cut into irregular triangles. The problem is allowing the scanner to simultaneously see registration marks on both sides of flat or hollow parts. If it doesn't see enough registration points simultaneously, it won't mesh.

I will next try making a pair of long sticks with one irregular registration end, and flat faced magnets embedded on the other end. These should clamp together through flat objects, and stick out far enough to be visible from all angles.

Technologist
    I just got some of this stuff ...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3312579843...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Gives a nice even, light blue coating which scans very well and cleans of easily.

Engineer-in-Training
    I would be very interested to some pics of some objects painted with this coating, before and after cleaning
    just to see what residue is left behind, if any.

Technologist
    No residue at all, it contains talcum powder so it just wipes clean off.
    I just wiped this with my finger (2nd picture) but if you apply it lightly enough, you can even blow it off.
    It didn't scan well at all without the coating, being jet black.

Last edited by scobo; 05-13-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Technologist
    Something weird going on with this thread, I can only see pictures people have posted from page 7 onward ???
    Anyone else finding this ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by scobo View Post
    Something weird going on with this thread, I can only see pictures people have posted from page 7 onward ???
    Anyone else finding this ?
    Same here, just pics from page 7 and up,
    maybe the posters took them down ?, I host my images on Dropbox, and once in a while I do a clean-up of older posting images.

btw, I found a local supplier of the chalk spray, and will give it a try

Technologist
    You could be right. Although it usually leaves a dead link behind when you delete pictures and don't edit the post too.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910