Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wow ! Impressive clean scan !
    Did you get to install version 1.4 ?
    If so, do you find it faster to auto-align ?

Student
    Add Nerv on Facebook
    These are the typical times I found while scanning with v1.4. I didn't measure prior versions.

Scanning: 21.1 seconds typical - Same time regardless of how many scans have taken place.
    Auto alignment: 1 second per 100 MB video ram used +/- 1 second, so at 1254 MB Graphics memory, it took 12.09 seconds to auto align.

If possible, better to take something apart and scan the smaller parts than get them all in one big scan due to the memory/time relationship. Having said that, I would say actual scanning takes 1/3 the time, alignment 1/3 and camera positioning the final third. Having a camera position strategy with proper alignment references in place makes a massive difference, if you don't, that will take up far more time than the actual scanning does.

I recorded this data so I could decide what was best for me to invest my capital in. I was thinking of getting a very fast 8 or more core processor but found that processing time is only a small part of the equation and the gains would be so small as compared to even just placing black cloth and or tape on areas that you don't want captured so you don't have to remove the data after each scan.

Once properly setup I never have to remove data after a scan, and the auto alignment works 100% of the time. That scan model I posted had zero manual alignments, that was 180 scans.

Thanks for your positive feedback,

Dave @ Nerv

@Nerv did you coat the model, then use tripod. What detail setting did you scan low, medium or high? Excellent scan!!!

Student
    Add Nerv on Facebook
    No coating, I used tripod mode (only mode I use - "Freescan mode") High detail mode, medium brightness.

In a previous post a while back I said this scanner will not pick up dark objects, that was very false. I scanned an engine bay the other day that was painted black and I was astounded the level of detail I was picking up.

I'm not sure, but I think when textures are added to the software the color will no longer matter much and coating will not be necessary. This is what Artec found when they built the Eva with textures, and since they are based on the same technology I wouldn't be surprised if the outcomes are similar.

With this scanner, if you want to pick up near black and still be able to pick up brighter colors you have to scan with the "Dark and bright" setting which doubles your scanning time to around 40 sec. No big deal if it's a small object, huge deal if it's a large object. With this setting it picks up almost everything. Not having to coat is nice.

Dave @ Nerv

Yesterday i got my scanner too ! 3rd batch.
    Here is a scan i did this morning.
    Freescan mode total 57 scans, took me about an hour+
    all scans were auto aligned perfectly.
    the model was unpainted so it was total white.
    scan.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    Can you tell more about the original dino,
    like size colour, and how you scanned it, it looks very good

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that looks great. How big was the original and have you printed anything you've scanned yet ?

the original dino is 30cm X 15cm
    it is actually this model :
    http://www.collecta.gr/dino/dino-all...40-detail.html

but my model was unpainted , just white.
    In freescan mode, medium quality , i rotated the dino a LOT of times (57)
    I left the scanner in the calibrated position and on the turntable i rotated the dino by hand in all his angles to get the hidden spots.

wow, good work~!

Quote Originally Posted by airguy View Post
    I left the scanner in the calibrated position and on the turntable i rotated the dino by hand in all his angles to get the hidden spots.
    Nice scan. Congrats.

You don't need to leave the scanner in the calibrated position. Myself i free scan for the past few weeks and calibrated only once.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast