Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any success to run the scanner under Bootcamp/Win8 on Macbook Pro ?

Hi guys,

I know Shining 3D told us their program and scanner runs on Windows 64 bit computer and OS, but as i don't have such computer at the moment, i'm trying to make it run on my Macbook pro, running Bootcamp and Windows 8.

The problem is that i cannot manage to get the scanner to display the image output through my HDMI port, using the hdmi to VGA adapter provided by Shining 3D. And I don't have a VGA port on this Mac, bought it last year.

If anyone finds the trick, it would save me (and potentially other Mac users) from having to buy a new laptop.

I manage to install the Eisncan software, it works, i can see the object in the little window on left side, the platform turns, but the calibration fails at the end, because the projector does not project anthing, only a blue screen flashing PC and CVMS or something like this.

I searched online and some people have problems connecting to a projector under bootcamp and windows. Some managed to do it using a thunderbolt to VGA adaptor, i'm not that familiar with this, i think i have a thunderbolt port on my Mac. I might try to buy this adaptor.

It might be a driver problems ? Maybe Einscan installs windows drivers but it's Mac hardaware ? No clue.

A passive HDMI to VGA adapter usually only works if the display hardware driving the HDMI port supports switching to VGA analog signaling -- which is unlikely for MacBook. You could try one of the following:
    1) A Mini Displayport to VGA adapter -- these are cheap and many of them work just fine on Macbook. The ones from Apple work really well, and YMMV with cheaper adapters depending on how finicky the projector/display is that's being connected. Your Thunderbolt port also serves as a Mini Displayport -- no need to buy Thunderbolt specific hardware.
    2) An active HDMI to VGA adapter. This would do the downconversion to VGA externally. It would be an extra box and probably more expensive than #1 above (even from Apple).
    3) A USB 2.0 to VGA DisplayLink type external video card. This might not work all that well if the EinScan-S cameras become confused by the brief macroblocking effect that you can see whenever the screen changes.

Thanks, indeed I managed to fix the problem with your solution 1 above.

I can now scan using my Macbook Pro !
    Windows 8 under Bootcamp.

I'm using this adapter:
    https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product...o-cable-363422
    Last edited by Hugues; 07-01-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    Hi noob here...
    I have just got my Einscan-S and am just trying to get it to work with my MacBook running Windows 8.1 in a Bootcamp partition. I've managed a calibration, can see an image on the turntable, but every time I ask it to scan... the 120 secs progress bar just hangs, the camera doesn't do anything, and I get a Windows has stopped the program dialog box on screen. Has anybody had this issue?
    After reading this thread, I'll take a look at the .pdf that came with the software download. Just downloading Windows updates on the other desktop at the moment.
    Mike
    PS Using the Thunderbolt port on the MacBook Pro, plus an Apple, as well as low cost generic, Mini Display Port to VGA adapter, and both get past the calibration process OK.
    Hey Mike,

i think i had the same also.

I understand the projector does not display the black and white stripes on the object, right ?

If so, it happened to me under two occasions:

- first after the upgrade to version 1.4 of Einscan software. What i did not know is that we have to re-do a calibration after this upgrade. If you don't do it, you have the problem you descirbe. But i understand you managed to calibrate.

- second time was because my main Windows screen (my desktop) was not defined for 800x600 resolution but higher. This had the effect of "pushing" the black&white stripes beyond the projector second screen. Make sure your projector resolution AND your desktop resolution are both in 800x600. AFter you've done so, place a white sheet about 60cm in front of your projector to see what is displayed. If you move your mouse on the projector screen, you should see it right away when you exit your desktop screen through the right with your mouse. Mine did not show right away, it was much further away.

If this fails, try to contact tech support, thread here:
    http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...lem-Contact-Me

let us know how it goes.

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    Thanks for the quick reply hugues, that gives me something to try as I haven't get down to 800x600 on my 17" MacBook. I get the native 1920x1080 and then 1600x1200 when the VGA is connected! :doh

Thanks for the quick reply hugues, that gives me something to try as I haven't get down to 800x600 on my 17" MacBook. I get the native 1920x1080 and then 1600x1200 when the VGA is connected! :doh
    ...and that reminds me i could not go down initially to 800x600, it was not available in the list. But there is a way to "force" it, it's described in .pdf file that comes with executable.

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    OK Hugues, I've reset both screens VGA disconnected & VGA connected to 800x600 by using the Windows Advanced Settings>Adapter>List All Modes in the Display Control Panel. Did you Extend displays or use Duplicate these displays in the Screen Resolution Control Panel. I'm displaying in the 1|2 Multiple Monitors mode
    Recalibration done and program is still hanging. I just get the alternating text "PC" & "CVBS" when I use a white card.
    You are using a MacBook Pro & Mini DP to VGA adaptor aren't you?
    Edit: I looked at the .pdf and it was quite confusing with the Chinese character text and little English, especially to a non Windows type like me.

OK Hugues, I've reset both screens VGA disconnected & VGA connected to 800x600 by using the Windows Advanced Settings>Adapter>List All Modes in the Display Control Panel. Did you Extend displays or use Duplicate these displays in the Screen Resolution Control Panel. I'm displaying in the 1|2 Multiple Monitors mode
    Recalibration done and program is still hanging. I just get the alternating text "PC" & "CVBS" when I use a white card.
    You are using a MacBook Pro & Mini DP to VGA adaptor aren't you?
    Edit: I looked at the .pdf and it was quite confusing with the Chinese character text and little English, especially to a non Windows type like me.

You have to extend displays, not duplicate. And your main display is your desktop, there is a little checkbox below.

I had the PC & CVBS text at the beginning when i was using the HDMI to VGA adapter provided by Einscan, that did not work under bootcamp/MAc. But i understand you are using the MiniDP to VGA converter. I'm using this one.

Post some printscreens of your windows display settings, i'll compare to mine.
    Last edited by Hugues; 08-16-2015 at 03:19 AM.

Technologist
    Add 24c on Facebook
    Hi again Hugues
    Screenshots
    main_display.jpgsecond_display.jpg
    Thanks for your help with this
    Mike

Hi again Hugues
    Screenshots
    Thanks for your help with this
    Mike
    I see some differences, but i'm not sure this is the problem:
    - in screen 1, i have "Color LCD" for my Display, you have "Mobile PC Display". Your screen 1 is your Macbook screen ? or you have another external screen connected ? if you have one, disconnect it and use your Macbook as screen 1, so we have the same setup.
    - in screen 2, i have LCD_VGA as display, you have Generic non_pnp monitor. Not sure if this is a problem, and i remember this seems to be in line with Einscan instructions. But who knows, maybe under bootcamp it makes a difference.

ALso, to be sure your display port, cable and projector are working, boot under OS and extend your desktop to see if you can display anything with the projector under OS.

Which display port you are using ? I0m using the one on the left, just next to the power plug, because there are 2 on that side (macbook pro retina)

Hugues

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast