Close

Question Painting of 3D prints done PLA

Really, Really dumb question, what craft paints work best with PLA filaments

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    We like to use ceramic paint works & anodized paint.

I find PLA a lot harder to work by hand than ABS (obviously). One of the reasons why I avoid tbh. So do you guys sand your PLA prints before painting? Just curious.

We have only been printing 1 week, have not done anything with the prints just yet, just trying to find what the best way forward is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I find PLA a lot harder to work by hand than ABS (obviously). One of the reasons why I avoid tbh. So do you guys sand your PLA prints before painting? Just curious.
    I tried to sand my pla prints initially and as you know the results can be disappointing. But I did find something interesting. I file the worst of the issues with a small file and then I use a rotative felt brush. It avoids the discoloration caused by filing/sanding and the result is quite smooth.
    h_679833.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    I tried to sand my pla prints initially and as you know the results can be disappointing. But I did find something interesting. I file the worst of the issues with a small file and then I use a rotative felt brush. It avoids the discoloration caused by filing/sanding and the result is quite smooth.
    h_679833.jpg
    Interesting. You ever use ABS? I work almost exclusively in ABS as it is so much easier to work with.