Close

Turn Any 3D Model into a Printable Rubik's Cube

A pair of Columbia University researchers, Timothy Sun and Changxi Zheng, developed software that can automatically turn any object, no matter the shape, into a fully functional and completely 3D printable twisty puzzle. The software uses the basic design of the Rubik’s Cube, and adapts the same internal mechanics for the new puzzle. It will detect when parts of the 3D model will collide with each other and suggest alterations to the shape to eliminate them. You can read about the entire process over on 3DPrint.com: http://3dprint.com/76320/3d-printable-twisty-puzzles/

Below is a look at a chess piece as a twisty puzzle:

Student

Request?

Could I pay either one of you to print me a twisty puzzle that I can't find for purchase anywhere online? I have a picture of it and it is fairly simple I just can't reply with a picture on this forum. It is a 3 x 3 x 3 still, it is just the pieces that make a dodecahedron you can find a picture of it here http://pin.it/wpYlKby
    OR by searching "QJ magic skewb dodecahedron 3x3" on Google. I have paypal and have been non stop searching for weeks!

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    My agenda is full atm, but you can post requests for such design jobs at CGtrader, the Shapeways forum and Upwork.

Student
    So those places could help me make a design I could send to another service or would they be able to just print the designs as well?

Student
    I guess my question really is that the article says the software exists I just want to use it on a dodecahedronal shape, essentially it still functions like a normal 3x3x3.