Close

Question Makerfarm- Main Frame warp!

I am just putting together my i3v 8".
    I am concerned that my frame might be a little warped, particularly the main section the piece the one with the Makerfarm laser tattoo. Has anyone else had a similar experience with his printer.
    I did a great deal of google searching on this issue before deciding on this purchase and I could only find issues with the y bed warping due to radiated heat from the heat bed.

Would anyone mind having a look at the pics and tell me if I'm just being fussy before bother Colin. It is wood after all.
    I have attached some images.
    Thanks in advance.

Nihonddd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I don't recall anyone having this problem before. If the wood was bowed in the opposite way, installation of the top frame piece would straighten things out. You could still see how much of the bow at the top is resolved by installing the top frame piece - much of a gap left between the two frame pieces would bug me, but may not make much functional difference. One option would be to glue that joint at the top, clamping things together so the glue dries without the bow being there.

If you have a couple of extra plate nuts for the v-rails, the bow at the bottom could be removed by installing the plate nuts in the bottom of the y-bed v-rails so that the plate nuts push against the wood guides that slip into the v-rails.

Printbus.

Thanks for your reply.

I have added the top piece and it has not remedied this. I will try out your T-slot suggestion.
    Actually my whole main frame piece is twisted by about 3mm when viewed from above. It is tricky to photograph but the bottom corners of the frame are not in contact with the floor surface unless I push down from above. (I have ascertained that the surface is flat)
    My main concern is that the z extrusions are not sqaure to each other when looked at from above. When I look from the side they are out of parallel by 2-3 mm. Are they parallel on your printer. I would imagine that they need to be parallel.

Nihonddd

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Ah, OK. Yeah, a twist in the frame would be a tougher problem than the simple cupping I was envisioning. Now I do remember someone talking about how their printer wouldn't sit flat, so they might have had a similar problem. Unfortunately I don't remember if the problem was resolved. Could have been discussed in the MakerFarm IRC channel and not a thread...

Haven't noticed any issues in my printer, but I did glue it up as I built it, checking things with a square and clamping joints where necessary.

OK, I know this suggestion isn't welcome! But if it was me, I would print a plastic replacement piece!

PS. After all, it is a RepRap !!!! It is supposed to be self duplicating!!!

"If you have a couple of extra plate nuts for the v-rails, the bow at the bottom could be removed by installing the plate nuts in the bottom of the y-bed v-rails so that the plate nuts push against the wood guides that slip into the v-rails". Printbus

I followed your advice to install a couple of plate nuts on the y-rails to help straighten that part out.
    I then removed all the metal hardware and wrestled the frame straight. I then reinstalled the metal hardware whilst clamping the frame. After much trial and error I've managed it to square it all up. It is now looking a lot better. I have also been following your build instructions here on the forum and have implemented a lot of your practical solutions.

Thanks again