Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Bre Pettis Leave Stratasys Taking bold Machines With Him

Today, it has been announced that Bre Pettis will be leaving Stratasys, also taking Bold Machines with him. He will be running the company independently of Stratasys now, looking to change the world using 3D printing technology. This is an interesting turn of events for both Stratasys and Pettis who have been working together since the company acquired MakerBot. Read and see more on this at: http://3dprint.com/73360/bre-pettis-leaves-stratasys/

Follow wpilgrim On Twitter Add wpilgrim on Facebook Add wpilgrim on Thingiverse
    This whole situation points to a true corporate take over. Letters of intent were signed about 2 years ago between these parties. Stratasys takes the Makerbot product and name, shuffles out Bre into an adventure seeking team (XYZ anyone?) Bre seems to go quietly into nowhere and now is "moving on" from Stratasys and taking bold machines with him. Hard to believe that it isn't anything other than Stratasys' original plan just unfolding of pushing Bre completely away. Who knows how Bre really feels about it at this point, (philisophically speaking, for monetarily I am sure he feels great about the whole deal). NDA's and the like will keep everything rosy on top . Sad to see what happened to Makerbot.

On another note I wouldn't call most of what Bold machines is doing super innovative (unless they have a lot more going on then they are showing us) They just happen to have Bre and a lot of free 3d printers and are in turn printing out lots of toys.

Either way at least Bre is free of Stratasys at this point (at least as far has his NDA will allow) so good luck to him on future endeavors.

Student
    Follow NoahSH On Twitter Add NoahSH on Shapeways Add NoahSH on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by wpilgrim View Post
    This whole situation points to a true corporate take over. Letters of intent were signed about 2 years ago between these parties. Stratasys takes the Makerbot product and name, shuffles out Bre into an adventure seeking team (XYZ anyone?) Bre seems to go quietly into nowhere and now is "moving on" from Stratasys and taking bold machines with him. Hard to believe that it isn't anything other than Stratasys' original plan just unfolding of pushing Bre completely away. Who knows how Bre really feels about it at this point, (philisophically speaking, for monetarily I am sure he feels great about the whole deal). NDA's and the like will keep everything rosy on top . Sad to see what happened to Makerbot.

On another note I wouldn't call most of what Bold machines is doing super innovative (unless they have a lot more going on then they are showing us) They just happen to have Bre and a lot of free 3d printers and are in turn printing out lots of toys.

Either way at least Bre is free of Stratasys at this point (at least as far has his NDA will allow) so good luck to him on future endeavors.

I think you are making a bit of an error to assume corporate take-over. A business owned by another business is no place for a genius mind to work. Bre wants to keep innovating and by getting out of the stratasys structure he will be able to do that. Bre does not need some big looming company to figure things out . . . he can do that on his own.

I personally think this is a great move for Bre and Bold Machines. I get the feeling that Pettis wanted to do a lot more with Bold Machine but simply didn't have the capital to do so. Following Stratasys' poor earnings reports they have cut spending considerable it seems. Now he can either seek investment capital, or simply used the hundreds of millions he received from the Makerbot sale as a means of funding his vision.

I have little doubt that over the next 12-18 months we will see some extraordinary things coming from Bold Machines. The only question is how will they bring in Revenue?

Just my take on things.

Student
    So, is Bold Machines ever going to be making machines?

If they were half as good as their self-promotion would indicate, wouldn't they have produced a killer 3D printer by now?