Close

Student
    Add macdonald.laura92 on Thingiverse

Freeware vs Opensource

Hey guys, Laura here.

I was asked a question by one of my non-3D friends (Don't laugh) and they asked "What is the difference between Opensource and Freeware?"

I was honestly stumped. I started slurring out random shit like 'freeware is free software' and 'opensource is freely distrbuted stuff' kinda...stuff, but I was talking out my arse, truth be told.

Can someone please clarify for me the difference between these two terms?

- LM

So... It would not be hard to point out errors to this. But pretty much, Freeware is software you can run that expects nothing to be paid for it. Most Freeware won't let you see the source or make changes to the program. Open Source is free, but the source is included. And if you make changes to the source and use the code base for profit you are obligated to publish the full source so others can build on it.

Student
    Add macdonald.laura92 on Thingiverse
    Wow, that's far more complicated that I expected, but makes a whole lot of sense.

Thank you

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    So... It would not be hard to point out errors to this. But pretty much, Freeware is software you can run that expects nothing to be paid for it. Most Freeware won't let you see the source or make changes to the program. Open Source is free, but the source is included. And if you make changes to the source and use the code base for profit you are obligated to publish the full source so others can build on it.
    A minor correction. The part about the profit is not quite accurate. And it wholly depends on the license applied to the source. Some open source is released with non-profit clauses so you are not allowed to profit from others' work. Other licenses do allow profit (commercial use) so long as you also publish your work under the same license. Some licenses have a no-derivative clause meaning you can use it for your own use but you can't publish your alterations. And there are far more combinations to boot.

Its a complicated mess and I am sure the OP is already in so deep she's given up using a snorkel and looking for a SCUBA tank at this point.

The gist of Roxy's description is good though.

Commercial Software - Software you pay a license to use. You do not own it, you only pay for the right to use it. Microsoft Word for example. You can buy it but you are buying a right to use, not own the software.

Shareware Software - Software that is generally free to download but expects some form of compensation if you continue to use it. Sometimes additional features are unlocked when you pay for it but not always. Not all shareware requires monetary payment. Some wants a facebook like. Some wants a postcard. Some wants favs on youtube or other non-money gratuity. Some of the "payment" options are rather creative. One I had required me to make a donation to any charity of my choosing and simply send the software author an email telling him I did so. He never asked the charity, the amount or for validation of the donation. Another required me to send a photo of me shaking a total stranger's hand. As I said, some are rather creative

Freeware Software - This, as mentioned, is free software. Its usually fully functional. It expects no form of compensation to continue to use it. Some may be supported by Ads built into it or it may install browser "tool" bar addons as part of its revenue generation method. Some freeware is simply stripped down versions of higher end packages that require payment.

Open Source Software - This is also free software but is also available as source code, not just the executable. This allows you to make changes to the code yourself and recompile it. Depending on what license is applied, you MAY be able to use it commercially, make new compiles from it and distribute those, but in nearly all cases, if you make changes, you are required to maintain the original copyrights and licenses. Most disallow you to change the name of the program and then claim it as your own for example.

Quote Originally Posted by macdonald.laura92 View Post
    "What is the difference between Opensource and Freeware?"
    It's simple: Freeware has to be taken as-is; Open Source allows you to fix bugs, change its behaviour, add features. You don't have to, but you can.
    Last edited by Traumflug; 06-08-2015 at 03:57 AM.