Close

Student

Alternative to bluetape, kaptontape, abs juice and hairspray.

Would any of you prefer to buy a product that combines the good characteristics of bluetape, kaptontape, abs junice and hairspray, when the price is at the same level as the other products (ca. 10cents/print)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'd certainly give it a go. Though at the moment I think I've pretty much got it cracked.

WEll, right now im testing the ABS plate for Geckotek and its REALLY close to perfect.... the PLA plate IS perfect... the ABS one is nearly there with no warping, no glues, no hairspray, just a metal plate on a magnetic base, for easy swap.
    No messy stuff at all... and magically when the temp of the print bed gets below 80c it immediately delaminates the part. Its really pretty incredible.
    And no, I do not work for geckotek, or get paid by them, im just testing them out.
    Once this product is available for more and more printers, it will be a game changer IMO

Student
    @dunginhawk, but with Geckotek you have to use a heated printbed ?!
    How is the bottom surface of the print if you don´t use a raft ?

My intention is to develop a product you can use without any hardware change on the printer and you can use it on every printer with every Material.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I've been coming to the conclusion that for pretty much everything bar abs (and that's just because I haven't tried it) pet tape, 60c and super slow first layer do the job. It's the first layer speed that seesm to be the clincher.

I don't print with rafts at all and I still get things to work really well. Obviously the quality on the bottom is much better that way too.

I think the lesson from the Gecko Tek project is that a "one fits all" will either be too expensive to consider or a failure. Differentiating their product for ABS & PLA was a good recovery to a bad situation.

I dont disagree with you lambdaFF... I think they are pretty dang close to an ABS working plate. Mine works well, just not perfect.
    I know its considered expensive, but I would buy it in a heartbeat to get rid of the need for Glue, spray, PEI etc etc. Just remove the plate, and it comes right off.
    Trust me on this, if you played with it and for what most of us have already paid for for printers, its worth every dime.
    Right now the PLA is spot on

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    If you can beat 50 cents for 6 months (100 prints or so) of use, then I'm in. The super sized glue stick I use is near perfect, and dirt cheap.