Close

Shrinking PLA first layer

Hi,
    After a few awesome prints, my first layer of PLA is now acting funny. I have an outer shell about 10mm thick. S3D lays down the inside, then the outside, then goes back and does a 100% fill of the middle. That middle section "shrinks" inbetween the shells into a small little wiggle in the middle of them.

I've tried 60 and 65 degrees for the heated bed. It's weird because yesterday on a different print, everything was awesome.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Here's a picture. Blue PLA on a blue bed - sorry!

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com...z/IMAG0018.jpg

Your print head is too far off the bed for the first layer. It needs to be smooshed down a little more.

In S3D there is in the infill tab a parameter called "perimeter infringement" or something similar : it states how much your infill will infringe over the perimeters to create a good bonding.

By default it should be 15%.

Tech support told me to boost it up to 25%. I did. It works.

I can't see your photo so it's pretty much possible 3dkarma has it right too.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    also none of those lines are straight. basically the filament is not sticking to the bed. So when it does the wiggly infill, the filament is pulling itself around.

So yeah, definitely calibrate closer, and maybe some glue stick or blue tape.