Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

You can have too much adhesion !

So I'm currently using pet tape on my print bed heated to 60c.
    That was fine, I was having a few adhesion issues so started using a glue stick and calibrating really tight.
    And that was all fine, still occasionally having adhesion issues.

And then I remembered that when i bought simplify3d I had intended to slow the first layer speed right down. It'set to 50% by default and I had never actually trie changing it.
    So i did that, dropped it right down to 10% of printspeed and it works a treat. Everything sticks like a super limpet on steroids.
    I was then getting a few removal issues (ie: swearing at the machine a lot, and getting some odd looks from the dog). And was going to either wipe the glue off or calibrate slightly less tightly.

Didn't get round to it and last night ran a big print with models covering the majority of the build plate.

And it's taken me the whole bloody day to finally get the last one off !

I ended up by heating the bed up, wiggling a scraper a few mm under the model while it's warm. Waiting for the bed to cool, getting the scraper further under and heaving with great effort.
    I now plan to clean all the glue off the plate.

Just glad I didn't print a single large model that covered the whole plate. Not sure I'd have ever got it off.

Conclusions:
    1) Yes you can have too much adhesion.
    2) the best thing you can do to help model adhesion is to slow your first layer to 10% of the print speed.
    3) you don't need to use: glue, heat, slow layer, and really tight calibration all together.

That was a real sod of a job.

This game is a constant learning curve. I'm going to wipe the glue off and try it with just bare pet tape and slow first layer.

Oh yeah and I'll have to replace the tape - that got torn as well :-) (and that's not easy)

So, yep, you can get carried away with wanting more and more adhesion.
    Still I suppose it's a better situation to be in than still not being able to get things to stick :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Been there. Done that. I ended up lifting a chunk right out of my Taz's PEI bed covering. Gotta get an order for another sheet in to McMaster.

I have never used a glue stick. Tried blue tape on nylon. Think my first layer is default at 50% height and speed.

I still get edge curl from time to time on ABS. And I have a hell of a time getting large surface area parts off the PEI. Not sure what to do.

Engineer
    Have you ever had too much adhesion on your glass bed that once printed part is removed, it literally makes hole in your borrosilicate glass?
    Too much hairspay isn't healthy.....

Learned by lesson.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Been there. Done that. I ended up lifting a chunk right out of my Taz's PEI bed covering. Gotta get an order for another sheet in to McMaster.

I have never used a glue stick. Tried blue tape on nylon. Think my first layer is default at 50% height and speed.

I still get edge curl from time to time on ABS. And I have a hell of a time getting large surface area parts off the PEI. Not sure what to do.
    I chipped into my flashforge creator plate also once. Ever since then, I switched to sliding a razor blade in between the print and bed, and then using a paint scraper to get under it from the razor.

Once in awhile I screw up my kapton tape doing it that way, but it work's great.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    When I have had similar issues, I would spritz one corner with water. The water releases the glue, and soaks under the edge, you can then lift that edge a bit. Spritz some more and slowly work the scraper under the part. Takes a while, but you end up making progress as you go, so there's not much stress, just patience.

When I get a part that doesn't want to release I turn a canned air upside down so that the liquid sprays on the part and they pop off. On really stubborn pieces I sometimes heat the bed and warm the part first.