Close

Printing an extra layer

Hello everyone, I've been printing my product idea and for some reason when printing it (it's like an open box with small compartments in it) it prints another layer over the top of it, it's not showing up on Cura saying it'll do this and can't see anything on the 3d model, anyone got any ideas?
    Printing with a ultimaker 2

Might be a slicing artefact. Have you tried a different slicer ?

I have tried a different slicer with no luck, i literally have no idea what is going on. The picture in cura is what i want to print and the other pictures are what actually happens, it just puts a layer over the whole object and just keeps printing, its causing me a lot of problems, and really need to find out why.
    Please please please can anyone help?
    Thanks
    11093901_997246340299922_9298538_n.jpg11287349_997246416966581_2008917084_n.jpg11355421_997246366966586_928072785_n.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    got the .stl file ?
    I'll see what it does in s3d.

The other thing you could try is printing with 0 top layers.

Sir, i think you may be a genius! on expert settings there was a box ticked saying solid infill top, i just unticked it, and the print time dropped by 4 hours, you may have sussed it!

what is the setting enable combing? not really understanding that one, thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Glad to help :-)

No clue what combing is. I work on the principle, if there's a setting that you don't understand and things are printing well. Leave it alone :-)

fair enough! what about the 'fix horrible' settings?
    as its got combine everything - type a
    combine everything - type b
    keep open faces
    extensive stitching

I have tried it with keep open faces as that seems like what i want but i have no idea! Thanks

Senior Engineer
    Cura has help built in to tell you what they are if you hover over them. If you don't understand it after reading that then they are all explained in depth in the documentation. Cura is probably the best explained slicer out there.

It seems to me looking at your pictures that the last layer is inverted : it tries to close the holes in open air but it didn't try to cover the "inside" of your part to close over the infill.

If so it is definitely a slicing issue. Since you say you tried a different slicer, have you tried to have your model checked in netfabb ?