Close

Question Full Graphical Display install led to connection issues

Hello helpful people of 3dprintboard.

I have a MakerFarm I3V 10" that I have built and is running well with a few cheeky upgrades. I purchased a Full Graphical display from Makerfarm that I wanted to install. I looked around the internet for instructions on how to do this but couldn't find anything definitive for this build so I combined a few things and watched some youtube clips and thought "how hard can it be?".....

This seems to have led to other issues.

If I connect my laptop via the usb cable to the board, its isn't recognised in device manager. it calls it out a rumba - AT mega, 2560 although its a ramps, but cant find the driver. I found a video (here) that showed a work around for the driver that means you install this as a modem (ricochet wireless modem) instead, that seemed to allow it to connect.

I loaded up Arduino and downloaded the latest RAMPS files, made the change to the configuration.h file and added the U8glib file to get the full display to run and when I press upload it just crashes my laptop.

I am running windows 7. I also freely admit, when it comes to connectivity and what an arduino/ramps board is, I am well out of my depth but I am trying to learn as I go.

Any thoughts folks?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    The Arduino+RAMPS, RAMBO, and RUMBA electronics suites all have the same microprocessor core design. It's been a long time since I futzed with the RAMPS driver, but I'm not sure there's a driver difference between the three electronics suites. In other words, the RUMBA driver might have worked fine with RAMPS. Maybe someone knows for sure.

Were you able to upload firmware successfully before, or is this the first time you've attempted it?

What board/processor do you have selected in the Arduino IDE? Can you "verify" (this is compile in Arduino terms) the firmware through the Arduino IDE successfully?

I've never heard of the Richochet wireless modem driver alternative. Maybe there's something about it that allows you connect with it but not do a firmware upload.

Perhaps there's a chance that the current draw of the new display is starving the 5v source. Try unplugging the display from RAMPS; you don't need a display connected in order to do a firmware upload.

Technologist
    You set the Arduino board as Mega 2560. You get the RAMPS driver here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80...ZORm8wVXM/edit

The current draw of the graphical display is no concern. In your i3v manual, look at the TROUBLESHOOTING section for "My computer didn't install the printer on a COM port" After following that section, when you find the COM port in device manager, enter that COM port in the Arduino software.

After the above is completed, you should be able to upload your firmware.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried your methof kd7eir, but it still wouldn't pick up the driver, it kept ignoring it. Then I found an old thread on here, and someone else had the same problem. What I needed was to download this file and run the application. It then installed the driver.

From here I could select it in Arduino and install the new firmware. This is the first time I've used arduino and connected to the ramps board.

Thanks for the help.