Close

Thread: Audi TT

Audi TT

hi everyone,

I recently received a replicator 2x at work and one of the things that I have been given the task to print is an Audi TT. No specific model, but I need to be able to edit it to fit a small motor and some small circuitry in. I am decent at using Inventor Pro and google Sketchup. I have access to solidworks as well.

I do not have the skills or time to model the car. I have explored the internet trying to find a solid version of an Audi TT, but the only one that I have found in many google searches required a paid membership to the website. I have attempted to take surface models and make them solid, but I have had no luck in any of the programs that I can use.

How should I go about finding a solid model or creating one from a surface model?

Engineer
    did you check grabcad? there are a ton of tt's on there

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    did you check grabcad? there are a ton of tt's on there
    I have been slowly sifting through the ones on grabcad, but I have yet to find a solid one or one that I have been able to turn into a solid. I have tried to turn many models from many sites into solids in all of the programs that I have after watching tutorials. Just hoping someone knows of one that either is solid or could easily become one. It does not need to be super detailed. Really just a general shape of the body (including the windows) and the mirrors.

I was just thinking more about it. I will likely have to hollow it out quite a bit to fit the motor and electronics inside. My main issue is that even ones that I have been able to add some solidity to have failed to fully print the windows even with supports.

hmm, wish i could be more a help. Grabcad would have been my recommendation as well. I've searched Google and the only things that come up are Grabcad and this post lol.

I think that I may have found a way to get exactly the solid that I need.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Hi,

I don't know if it's still relevant, but if you can get a STEP file on grabcad (there should be some available) it is definitely possible to convert it into a printable file with Solidworks. I estimate that it may take somewhere between 4-8 hours.

The method that usually works for me is to copy each main surface separately and then thicken it. Thickening will not always work, and when it doesn't you can try to offset the surface, and then create surfaces to connect the edges of the inner and outer surface. With the last edge patched up, you can convert it into a solid. Sometimes there are problematic areas in the original surfaces that you may have to fix before offsetting. Sometimes it helps to simply cut out an area of a surface and refill it with curvature continuity, especially as you don't need too much detail in the model.

Good luck!