Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How would you rate this quality?

So I started to get back in to printing a little bit after a break , and finished tweaking my ABL, took my cooling fan off (because it seemed to affect quality). etc.
    So my first large scale print is the owl.
    I printed it at .1m and 50mm/s

How would you rate the quality????
    There isnt really any artifacting, so the retraction etc is right. I think overall im not super thrilled with it.
    Maybe im being overly optimistic about what I think it should do. Perhaps im spoiled by my Flashforge, that churns out literally STUNNING quality prints.
    THis is at .1mm and it doesnt look bad to me but just not what I need/want.
    Do you others with your prusa i3v expect more? are you getting more?

This print is with zero cleanup

Thanks for your help/comments. I really do appreciate you all and the work you put in to this forum to make it great.

Engineer-in-Training
    The layers look a little larger than 0.1 but I don't know the scale of this print, but wow...if your flashforge is out performing that then sign me up, as that looks like a really clean, really nice print to me!

maybe ill do the same print on my FF at 1mm to compare the 2... Maybe im hyping it more than it really should be, but i dont think so.
    yeah, ill start that tonight.
    This is definately a clean print, but yeah the layers do look bigger. but in actuality, i think what you are seeing is every other layer being represented as a thicker single layer.

Technician
    looks really clean to me , but for a 0.1 mm layer height it looks like some layers are dragging the previous one creating that "thick layer" effect . im having similar issues i have notice that randomly my Z axis don't go up consistently creating this banding effect . i haven't solve this issue yet . if anyone have some suggestions it will gladly appreciate.

If it is a z banding issue, then perhaps a fix might be different stepper motors with more precision? i dont know anything about swapping them, configuring them etc, but its a thought. Im not pissed at the quality, but im not happy either. Its not sellable to my clients.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
    If it is a z banding issue, then perhaps a fix might be different stepper motors with more precision? i dont know anything about swapping them, configuring them etc, but its a thought. Im not pissed at the quality, but im not happy either. Its not sellable to my clients.
    Stepper motors are fairly standard, so there's no easy way to get more precision beyond the 80 steps per mm that you have on x and y. Z already has more resolution than can effectively be used. While 80 steps per mm isn't a lot, you should be able to do better than the earlier pics I don't have a link handy for it, but try searching for the thread on makerfarm prints of the make 2015 shootout models to see my results - focus on the Z resonance test.

If you think belts are tight, try tightening them more. If you have printed idler pulleys installed on x and y, try removing them - poorly formed teeth on the idler pulleys could create problems. Recheck tightness of the pulleys on the x and y motors. If tubing is used as the couplers on the z motors, at least add zip ties to them to help ensure a consistently tight grip.
    Last edited by printbus; 05-22-2015 at 01:07 PM.

I will check all those things again printbus, I dont use the tubing, i use metal couplers, so im good on the z motor pieces.
    I also found your pictures on the shootout page.. I think our results may be pretty comparable in the end. I am zoomed in pretty tight, this model is 7 inches tall.. either way, i think there is always room for improvement. if Flashforge would just come out with a 12x12x12 printer with the same quality haha

so i left the house this morning as the print on the FFCP was about 1/2 done... same layer height same speed etc.
    its looking a LOT better... quality is just night and day. so ill post the pic tomorrow night when i get back home.
    definately want to find a way to fix the z banding issue.

So here are a few shots of the owl done on my FFCP... the quality doesnt show a HUGE difference in photos, but in person. its an amazing difference... night and day. again

ill certainly be VERY disheartened if there is essentially no fix.

Technologist
    To me it looks like a printer to you bought assemble and a printer you assemble that needs a little bit more work. How fast you printed each. How well is your slicer setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast