Close

Prusa i3 = filament not sticking and bowden extruder clicking + not moving filament

Hello,

I am having EXTREME levels of troubole with my kit build Rep Rap Prusa i3.
    Firstly, whenever I print the material finds it extremely difficult to adhere to the surface, I have looked countless amounts of times on the internet for issues and non have worked.
    I can confirm that:
    -My bed is level throughout ( I have spent HOURS doing this)
    -The surface is equally (no gaps) covered with blue painters tape that I have slightly sanded to make sticky (which it is when I touch it when hot)
    - I spray the surface with some hairspray, even when I don’t it still doesn’t work to try and get some adhesion.

I am also having problems with the bowden extruder that I am usingl, it clicks and filament doesn’t come out , whatever I do.
    -Firstly let me say how disgusted I am with the design, truly appalling and I wish I knew how bad they were before buying.
    Now that’s off my chest, I can confirm that:
    -I have tried many different pressure levels (by adjusting the spring) between the idler gear and the main gear
    -The motor is correctly plugged into the RAMPS board and is being supplied with the correct voltage/ is functional
    -I have attempted to calibrate the ‘e steps’ and that has come out at 97.6

So essentially when I feed the filament through by pushing the PLA into the extruder, it begins to come out of the hot end but never sticks.
    For PLA I use 190oc for the hot end and 60oc for the hot bed.
    I will post screenshots of my slic3r settings, if that is the issue?

Please help as I really want to print but this printer is so obnoxious that I am thinking of getting rid of it.

Here are the photos of the Slic3r settings in my Google Drive:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...kU&usp=sharing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Louis,

I have the same printer ������. Mine works well and I'm very impressed with it. I do have some different settings though.

Try setting the bed temp to 60 and the extruder temp to 220.
    Also I normally set the first layer to 0.5mm the other layers from 0.2 to 0.5 depending on the quality required. (my extruder nozzle is 0.5)
    all my settings in the extrusion width are 0
    and make sure to set the "z axis home" to about 2 pieces of papers width above nothing.

good luck

When your hot end is in air, can you command the printer to extrude some plastic? If so, does it extrude with or without the clicking sound? If it does click, slow the extrusion speed down, e.g. G1 E20 F100 - which will extrude 20mm of filament at a reasonable speed. If you can extrude filament without the clicking sound, re-check how far your nozzle is from the bed. If it is too close, your printer will be trying to push filament out against the weight of the X carriage resting on the bed as there's no room for the plastic to squeeze out. Make sure your print head is a reasonable distance above the bed by placing a piece of paper under the nozzle and adjusting the Z axis home position to a point where you can move the paper, but feel slight drag from the nozzle.