If you are looking for a printer to print parts with fine details and strict tolerances, and want it to be relatively hassle-free, Dollo is probably not a good choice. First, although I've gotten a relatively well working one made, it's not finalized and building one needs some figuring out (I need to clean up the git repo and do proper parts lists and instructions). The printed xy axes cause some small wobbling, which is seen as small artifacts. Also there's no real data how long this kind of printer will work reliably; I'm the only one with working Dollo as far as I know. For me the latest iteration has been working surprisingly stably and consistently, but it might break during the next print. Lot's of unknowns...

So if you want to build Dollo, willingness to tinker is a must . For me, Dollo is more of a experimental project than a workhorse printer (although it's been working quite hard lately...).

Saving money: maybe a bit if going with the cheapest parts and filament. But the cheapest printers from china probably come close so it boils down to what kind of tinkering you are interested: building from from plastic or fixing the cheap Chinese crap . Dollo should be easier to expand so that's one thing going for it.

Money I've spent on Dollo:
- electronics, motors, hotends etc. from Ebay: 100-150 euros. I haven't kept tabs on the costs and some of the parts weren't the cheapest options. Also had to buy real E3D heatbreak for E3Dv6 clone to be able to print PLA, so going with the cheapest parts is not always a good option..
- plastic for the currently used models only: ~2 rolls of PLA/PETG = 60 eur
- plastic for the experimental parts: probably another 2 rolls
- hours spent tinkering: too many to count . Would I do it again? Absolutely. In fact once I get some other projects out of the way, some upgrades and new ideas to work on. And update the README...