Close

Unused hot end heating up on FF creator pro. Is this a problem?

I just started a print on my FF creator pro and noticed that while I am only using one nozzle for this print, the other one heated up too. Currently I don't have any filament in there. Is this a problem? Could any harm be done to to my printer by having that extruder heated for the whole print time(4-5 hours)?

Does it actually reach operating temperature? The unused extruder will heat up due to heat from the extruder and bed right next to it. Mine might see temps of around 60-70 degC just because of heat transfer.

Engineer-in-Training
    it will do that if the slicer is set up for dual extruders. in S3D there are 3 settings one for the left one for the right and one for both. If you use either the right or left it will only heat one. What slicer are you using?

I'm using Simplify3D and yes it does actually reach operating temp. It hasn't done thisin the past and I didn't change anything in the temp settings...

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    Simplify3D doesn't quite live up to it's name. You have to adjust EVERYTHING it seems before you ever do your first print. Not very simple. If you're new to the FF use their software first until you get used to the printer, and have time to read up on Simplify3D. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Engineer-in-Training
    See I don't find it that hard. I played with the FF software but never used it to make a print file for anything. I bought S3D with the printer and have used it successfully ever since. Make sure you are on the one extruder and not both.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    go into temperatures and set the temp for the head you're not using to 0c
    problem solved :-)

Likewise if you're not heating the bed set the bed temp to 0c.