Close

3d Systems Cubify Cube

I am new to 3d printing and I guess I probably made my first mistake buying a 3d systems cube, had it for about 2 weeks now the previous owner didn't include some essential parts to make it work I had to source them on my own its activated in there name seller is useless for getting back to me about anything. Anyways all the internet complaints some are valid I guess. The printer does live up to the fact you can un box it and pretty much anyone can get it printing their test files. I knew it was locked down and had cartridges you had to buy. I had bad experiences buying "made in china" CNC machines off ebay so I wanted something from a big american company, tech support from china is awful if you don't speak there language.

Anyways my reason for posting is I was using the cube and I was downstairs it made some funky noises like it was jammed similar to when an item popped off and jammed the printer however by the time I got back to the printer it was powered off and was not jammed at all.

What I think is happening is something to do with the power to the printer it will be printing and then the power will just die allowing the print plate to slam down making some noise its done it about 3 times. I contacted 3d systems and there solution was to power cycle the unit, update the firmware or it was some kind of glitch. Not really happy about that reply contact them back see what they say tomorrow. I don't really want to update the firmware because right now I am able to use aftermarket filament and think they fixed that glitch with a firmware update. however they claim the firmware update improves the print quality. I doubt the firmware is backwards compatible ie once you update you cant go back? anyone running 2.08 firmware and are able to print with an empty cartridge using other filament?

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    In most cases, firmware updates (OTA, etc) usually are improvements over legacy firmware. What did you do to utilize aftermarket filament & which filament are you using for the 3D Systems Cube?

I have firmware 2.00 which I believe is the original one, I made a spool holder. I have your run of the mill china pla filament 1kg 1.75mm, cube is apparently 1.60mm I can't tell the difference neither can the machine.

I made an adapter that allows me to install the cube tube into the adapter and the filament sits on the table beside the machine feeding the filament thru the adapter into the cube tube and into the machine.

Basically what happens is as long as the cartridge is connected to the machine it says there is not enough left but we both know there is like 2000 feet on a spool of the aftermarket stuff you just override the not enough filament left warning and print.

I think if I upgrade to the newer firmware they fixed this glitch which I don't want to have to buy the cube filament but I also would like the better quality prints they claim the new firmware gives.

I printed 2 small 8 min parts and a 50 min tree frog it didn't stop working but I don't think it was running long enough

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    Nice hack. Have you contacted 3D Systems & ask them if you can revert back to older firmwares?

I have upgraded to 2.08 it still works, I was able to track down 2.00 firmware looks like you can load it back I have not tried it because I haven't needed too, unfortunately it almost seems like 3d systems monitors the internet and removes information about there company/products I couldn't find anything about troubleshooting or common problems with them. Honestly I am a business grad I can understand why they would want to lock down everything and make it unmod-able. I'm happy with it if it works but I have already found out a few things that I will probably eventually sell it and upgrade to a 2 or 3 color printer with a heated bed and a bigger print area 12x12 would be a lot nicer.

Ok it worked till the cartridge was empty now I can't print anymore. If anyone has the other firmwares I'd like to experiment.