Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Tips for a beginner?

Hello all,

I'm thinking of buying a 3d printer and sell some decorative and useful stuff with unique designs. Since i'm totally a beginner dummy for this business type. I need your advices immediately

1- I have a budget of 1200$. I actually found a 3d printer manufacturer called Pirx 3d. Please click here for the technical specs of this product. I think it looks like a good product. What do you think? By the way i live in europe so i may be able to bring 3d printers only inside this area. If you think this printer is ok, i may buy it. If you have any other recommendations which could be bought with nearly same price or a little bit higher, please share with me.

2- After the selection of the printer, the second issue is to choose the right filament. Do you think PLA or ABS would be a better selection for me for my own business. The thing i'm concerned about is the regulations in European Union. I wonder if ABS or PLA may contain any skin tissue problem for those who will touch it for awhile. I want to make some nice quality environment friendly products for use so i won't face any client problems.

3- For usb connections and prints, a decent laptop with installed programs is enough or should i build a powerful desktop pc in order to get 3d prints?

4- What do you generally think about the future of this 3d printed materials business? Do you think it is a good investment?

5- Is there chance to print a 3d design with more than 1 color of filament? If yes, how?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
    M.

Technician
    1 - The printer you have chosen is your max budget. It is a nice looking machine, but if you don't want to spend everything you have check out this link: http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/
    you can sort by country, price, lead time, and a lot more.

1A - Here is a better chart: http://www.productchart.com/3d_printers/

2 - I have not used ABS (no heat bed). As far as I know (and don't quote me) there's no issues with skin irritation, though I it is possible someone out there might have a reation.

3 - You shouldn't need to build a powerful desktop if your designs are moderately simple. If you were to model a car and run simulatuions in Solidworks, then yes you would need more power.

4 - 3D printers are awesome, and have used them over the last few months for personal and R&D work in the shop. The ability to see a prototype take shape, see errors as it builds, and save money (over first production run models) has been incredible.

5 - Yes. There are multiple printers that offer dual extruders. Check the link above. There are after market extruders that have 3 and 4 nozzels. Also, new product on kickstarter allows for up to 4 colors (or types) of filamint to be extruded to the printer, here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Hope this helps.

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    1. If you're the type that want many existing info regarding a 3D printer, it helps to select a 3DP with lots of public information. If you're the more adventurous type, then getting into a really new 3DP is equally good. We have 3 machines that fit your budget http://eezitec.com/collections/3dprinters

2. I would go ABS ONLY IF you have adequate venting or at least a very open space because the fumes from ABS 3D printing is not exactly something you'd want to breathe. PLA is nearly equally good but at times can be brittle depending on the structure of the build. Example -- going with the grain vs going against the grain, etc.

3. It would be good if you have at least 4gb memory. Ideally, 8gb & above is good to run multiple programs that you'll probably need open.

4. Anything new & exciting will always be a good investment

5. Airwolf 3D HD2X is a dual extruder 3DP that we carry http://eezitec.com/collections/3dpri...irwolf-3d-hd2x

Just one word of advice : try and select a product that's actually for sale.
    1/ kickstarters for printers pop up every week, some don't deliver, most don't deliver on time.
    2/ tech support is paramount for 3d printing : whether in the form of a big active community or an aftersales from the OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@radeuslabs View Post
    1 - The printer you have chosen is your max budget. It is a nice looking machine, but if you don't want to spend everything you have check out this link: http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/
    you can sort by country, price, lead time, and a lot more.

1A - Here is a better chart: http://www.productchart.com/3d_printers/

2 - I have not used ABS (no heat bed). As far as I know (and don't quote me) there's no issues with skin irritation, though I it is possible someone out there might have a reation.

3 - You shouldn't need to build a powerful desktop if your designs are moderately simple. If you were to model a car and run simulatuions in Solidworks, then yes you would need more power.

4 - 3D printers are awesome, and have used them over the last few months for personal and R&D work in the shop. The ability to see a prototype take shape, see errors as it builds, and save money (over first production run models) has been incredible.

5 - Yes. There are multiple printers that offer dual extruders. Check the link above. There are after market extruders that have 3 and 4 nozzels. Also, new product on kickstarter allows for up to 4 colors (or types) of filamint to be extruded to the printer, here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
    1. If you're the type that want many existing info regarding a 3D printer, it helps to select a 3DP with lots of public information. If you're the more adventurous type, then getting into a really new 3DP is equally good. We have 3 machines that fit your budget http://eezitec.com/collections/3dprinters

2. I would go ABS ONLY IF you have adequate venting or at least a very open space because the fumes from ABS 3D printing is not exactly something you'd want to breathe. PLA is nearly equally good but at times can be brittle depending on the structure of the build. Example -- going with the grain vs going against the grain, etc.

3. It would be good if you have at least 4gb memory. Ideally, 8gb & above is good to run multiple programs that you'll probably need open.

4. Anything new & exciting will always be a good investment

5. Airwolf 3D HD2X is a dual extruder 3DP that we carry http://eezitec.com/collections/3dpri...irwolf-3d-hd2x
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    1/ kickstarters for printers pop up every week, some don't deliver, most don't deliver on time.
    2/ tech support is paramount for 3d printing : whether in the form of a big active community or an aftersales from the OEM.
    Thank you guys for all the information.

I guess it is always better to buy a product within the country so in case of any error i may send the printer immediately to the technical department.

I think i will go with PLA since it is more nature friendly because of its structure and also i heard that it smells half like a sugar while in printing process. I guess i prefer this one for my room The only thing i need to know is that the durability of the item i make. For an example, if i design smartphone cases, will they be durable in normal using conditions at least for 5-6 months?

If i will own a shop based on items i will make from 3d printer, what else should i pay attention to?

And one more question: Is it possible to adjust material softer/harder?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
    M.
    Last edited by murti; 05-06-2015 at 03:41 AM.

you can save time and money With 3D Printing for Your Business While you can actually make jewelry with a 3D printer, the real usefulness may be using 3D printing as a way to create versions of items before having them mass-manufactured.
    test some models of 3D printing at home or for your small business!! make some interesting discoveries !!

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    This is the best advice you will get. I would recommend the flashforge creator. It's a little more than your budget but it has support in the community as well as a heated bed dual extruders and lots of options down the road. PLA would not be a choice I would make for cell phone cases as it is not impact resistant. PLA is very forgiving and easy to print and it has it's place but it's not durable in a wide range of situations like ABS and Nylon are.

Engineer
    I agree with everyone else's post here. But just wanted to toss a few thing's in for you. As awesome and fun as 3D printing is, be ready to learn a whole lot. Ton's of program's for different various thing's, how the printer work's, etc, etc, etc. There's a lot to it other than just downloading model's and printing them. But once you get the hang of it, there's nothing else really like it, it's amazing and awesome.

As for the business, there is money to be made. But it's not going to happen right away. You will spend quite a bit more (IMO) getting started and building up different filament's (not cheap when you need different color's, materials, etc) and different odd's and end's for helping with the printer. I have some luck selling thing's online, and some luck selling thing's to people I know that come in to my work (which has nothing to do with printing) so I get a lot of traffic that way. But definitely not quitting the job with how much it make's :P

The Flashforge creator pro is a great printer for that price range. That's what I use, and many other's around here. But also I would look into the "Powerspec 3D Pro" which is basically the same printer, for a whole lot cheaper. Not sure how great their support is compared to Flashforge, but I am considering picking one up myself. There are also a ton of other print's which have came out, and are coming out, that look great.

Also people love their PLA. I have like 3 spool's of PLA and 30 of ABS type's. So I'm not the best cheerleader for PLA, I just seem to have great print's with ABS, and I can acetone smooth it if I want to make it look super smooth and shiny.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so which country are you in ?

Buying from a suplier in the same country is mainly cost. ie: cheaper delivery and no import tax.
    At your price range it's geenrally quicker and cheaper to fix the machie yourself than mess around with suppliers.
    The prix is a decent looking machine and while it's not been around long - can't say I've heard anything negative about them - or anything at all for that matter :-)

filament wise. basically everything (except nylon) is better than abs :-)
    I've lost count of the different types of filament I've currently got - and your friend here is globalfsd.com
    try a sample before buying a big roll :-)

Pla is great stuff. As strong and tough as abs - in my experience, but way easier to print with. And shinier.

Actually if you plan on designing your own products then the printer is almost secondary to the design software. Pretty much any printer will produce similiar results - the differences are mainly in the design.

Have you any design experience ?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    s
    Pla is great stuff. As strong and tough as abs - in my experience, but way easier to print with. And shinier.
    As an actual engineer with 25+ years worth of plastic part design PLA is inferior to ABS from a structural/temperature/impact resistance sense. I will give you shiny and easy to print. Once you learn how to print with ABS you appreciate it's versatility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast