Close

Taulman's New High-Strength Filament, In-PLA Material

Taulman3D has just released a new high-strength 3D printing filament, In-PLA, which should cause not only industrial 3D printing operators to take note, but also hobbyists and consumers as well. Offering more clarity, color choices, and strength, in-PLA is supplied on a 1kg spool format in 1.75mm and 2.85mm. Read more about In-PLA in the full article: http://3dprint.com/62343/taulman3d-in-pla-filament/

Below is a photo of some objects printed using In-PLA:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    can someone make sense of these for me :
    Specs are as follows:

• Ultimate Tensile Strength – 9.89 ksi ASTM D638
    • Tensile Modulus – 521.6 ksi ASTM D638
    • Tensile Strain at Break – 3.9% ASTM D638
    • Gardner Impact Strength – 2.04 in-lb ASTM D5420
    • Flexural Modulus – 285.99 ksi ASTM D790

In idiot terms (lol) how much harder. bendier and tougher is it than standard abs or pla ?

Given that I don't have corresponding figures for any other filament I currently own - you'd think they'd publish some comparison figures as well.
    Interesting that they're going to offer a 1kg spool as well. So far the taulman stuff i have is on a 1lb spool with a ridiculously small central hole.
    I have to use a rotary cutting tool to enlarge the hole as it's easier than respooling the bloody thing. And yes I do have a stanalone spool holder - but there's not much room at the back of the printers. So decent sized hole in a spool is a better option.

Also be interesting to compare this stuff to the polymakr polymax pla.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-04-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Engineer
    If their ultimate tensile strenght is right for 3D printing, then it's tougher, less bendable.
    Because a group of people from Elsevier did find an ultimate tensile strenght to be around 50-55MPa for 3D printing PLA, this one has around 68 Mpa. However, I never recall ASTM D638 was meant for 3D printing, it was usually for machining or mold injection injection.

But then, PLA is already tough as it is .... this one probably shatters much more easier given the tensile strain is around 3.9%

Their red translucide is nice to look at though.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, well you'd have to define toughness.

I thought the bendiness test was for toughness. ie: take a piece of filament and bend it back and forwards till it breaks. Abs does well but turns white. pet doesn't change colour or break. And pla tends to break after a few bends.

If that's not the toughness test - then what is the definition of 'toughness' ?

Engineer
    Sorry my french and engrish got mixed up,

I meant the resistance under stress is better with this PLA, before it reach the maximum elasticity. But in any ways, it does worse if it gets bended.