Close

Anyone using translucent filament on XYZ Da-Vinci printer

Hi all,
    I am currently experiencing with non XYZ filaments on my Da-Vinci and I've been pretty successful so far, except for one type of filament: Translucent.
    It seems the printer head has some type of thru-beam system to check if the filament is here so when using translucent it thinks the filament isn't loaded.
    Has anyone experienced with these type of filaments and has anyone done it with success?
    I am trying to find a way around that but I'm not willing to molest my printer yet.

Thanks

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by OVersliders View Post
    Hi all,
    I am currently experiencing with non XYZ filaments on my Da-Vinci and I've been pretty successful so far, except for one type of filament: Translucent.
    It seems the printer head has some type of thru-beam system to check if the filament is here so when using translucent it thinks the filament isn't loaded.
    Has anyone experienced with these type of filaments and has anyone done it with success?
    I am trying to find a way around that but I'm not willing to molest my printer yet.

Thanks
    Sounds like a simple light sensor is letting the light pass through the filament to the other end of the sensor, one would imagine some black tape in there would fix that to cover the sensor, but that might then lead to other issues because the machine will always think there is filament in there, you may need to open it up to solve this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sounds like a simple light sensor is letting the light pass through the filament to the other end of the sensor, one would imagine some black tape in there would fix that to cover the sensor, but that might then lead to other issues because the machine will always think there is filament in there, you may need to open it up to solve this one.
    You are absolutely right, I just wanted to know if anyone had done it before. I don't want to take my head apart without guidance.
    My friend who owns the same printer did it and his printer hasn't been the same since.
    My hope would be to actually fool the printer electrically by adding a switch to the wire which closes the sensor's contact back to the printer's brain.
    This way, I could turn it ON/OFF whenever I use translucent filaments.
    Anyway, I think I'll have to bite the bullet and pull my volt meter to do some tests...
    Wish me luck lol

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by OVersliders View Post
    You are absolutely right, I just wanted to know if anyone had done it before. I don't want to take my head apart without guidance.
    My friend who owns the same printer did it and his printer hasn't been the same since.
    My hope would be to actually fool the printer electrically by adding a switch to the wire which closes the sensor's contact back to the printer's brain.
    This way, I could turn it ON/OFF whenever I use translucent filaments.
    Anyway, I think I'll have to bite the bullet and pull my volt meter to do some tests...
    Wish me luck lol
    I hope you figure it out, I was millimetres from clicking on BUY on a Davinci, then I saw it took proprietary filament cartridges so got turned off it a bit, but people seem to be getting around that issue ok, I'd love to see someone really tweak one and see how good they can get because for the price, man that is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I hope you figure it out, I was millimetres from clicking on BUY on a Davinci, then I saw it took proprietary filament cartridges so got turned off it a bit, but people seem to be getting around that issue ok, I'd love to see someone really tweak one and see how good they can get because for the price, man that is a bargain.
    I have mine running on third party filament.
    I'm actually going to get rid of all of my XYZ filament because they quality of their filament is a bit disapointing.
    I get quite a few bubbles and the filament tolerances aren't close to industry standards.
    However, with the programmer I bought right there >>> http://www.wctek.com/shop/da-vinci-3...15-xyzpro.html <<< I can now program my cartridge to whatever I want them to be. I increased the factory temperature of 210F to 240F yesterday on a few prints and it smoothed out the process.
    I also used filament from Zen Toolworks and it was by far the best experience I have had as far as consistency and quality.
    I haven't tried PLA yet but I might soon.
    I'll keep you in the loop on what I've done to mine once it's only running on third party material.

translucent fiament

there is a way to fix this issue. there is a sensor in the print head that detects the filament you will need to block that sensor with a small piece of black tape. the space is tight and will only work one layer thick.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I've noticed they've started selling the clear filament. Is there any official word from XYZ on this issue then? I can understand people taking apart the head to run third party filament after they've hacked the machine, but official filament requiring a hack? Doesn't make sense to me. I want to try this filament to make some light fixtures out of Neopixels, but I'm not going to invest if it doesn't work.