Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would You Eat 3D Printed Food?

The Chubb Group asked a group of questions about 3D printed food and products as part of their 2015 Consumer Perceptions of Business Risk Survey, and it turns out that just 23% of the people queried would consider eating 3D printed food. The responses were much more receptive to the idea of using other 3D printed objects. Fully 77% of those asked said they could see themselves using a 3D printed synthetic or prosthetic limb, and 64% said they'd consider wearing shoes or clothing produced by a 3D printer. A less overwhelming 58% said they'd consider using a 3D printed automotive part, but a smaller majority of respondents, 51%, were comfortable with the idea of living in a printer-built house. You can read the full story here: http://3dprint.com/61488/survey-consumers-3d-printing/

Below is a look at some 3D printed foodstuffs:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Well, I've eaten most things.
    So, yeah as long as i was happy it was safely produced.

ie: if it takes 8 hours to print a burger then the meat part has been kept at an unsafe temperature for way too long and it'll make you very ill.

But assuming it was bacterially safe to eat - sure why not ?
    I've eaten a corn dog in the states - possibly one of the worst eating experiences man can experience.
    That HAS to be worse than anything 3d printed :-)

I think not., but it's look so delicious to eat...

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I've eaten a corn dog in the states
    Oh, sorry about that. Someone should have warned you.

As for 3D printed food? Yeah, I'd try it, but I wouldn't eat it regularly.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Isn't all macaroni essentially 3D printed already?

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Isn't all macaroni essentially 3D printed already?
    Well, that would be a stretch on the definition. True that nearly all of it is extruded and then cut to length. But extruding something isn't really 3D printing. Extruded pasta is more like eating the filament rather than a printed item. In my mind anyway, a 3D printed object requires depositing some material in layers to form a shape whether by SLS or FFF or similar processes. So technically, no, pasta isn't 3D printed any more than breakfast cereals are (they too are extruded). Peeps are extruded too, they considered 3D printed? Not by me anyway

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways
    I think best food for me is the one I do it myself. Even the risks are higher... ))
    Printare 3D Bucuresti

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I don't know, pasta is definitely additive manufacturing. So yeah I'd call it 3d printing :-)

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    I definitely would!

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    What about decorative cake frosting? Even though it's usually by hand, isn't it pretty much identical to 3d printing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast