Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Lowes Introduces In Store 3D Printing

For those of you who love to customize your products before you buy them, or for those of you show love antique items but hate the fact that it is almost impossible to find replacement parts for them when they break, Lowes today has announced a solution. Starting in the Orchard Supply Hardware store in Mountain View, California today, they will begin offering 3D scanning, design and printing services to customers, allow customers to customize their own products and then have them printed in plastic in-store or have them printed in other materials such as metals and ceramics via the mail. This could be the start of mass customization! What do you think? Read and see more at http://3dprint.com/61632/lowes-in-store-3d-printing/

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    There's no mention of any specific 3D printers that they use for in-store 3D printing. What 3D printer machines are they using?

How?

I have 2 FFF 3D printers, one at work and one at home. I'd love to be able to develop in plastic then U/L a file to be printed in metal or ceramic.

I cannot find a link that accommodates that, although the article states this is available online.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Staff Engineer
    My guess is that they've worked out a deal with Shapeways or another service bureau to print the metal and ceramic parts. I doubt it's any cheaper to go through Lowe's than to deal with them directly.