Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Actually the new reprapper aluminium is a very good metallic silver. I've got pla version.

What they've done different to colorfabb is to use less metal in the filament but a much much finer powder. So the metal is working as the main colourant rather than just big lumps that need to be sanded and polished.

Both the aluminium and the copper do look like metallic filament.
    Thanks! Do you have a link?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there was an article on 3dprint.com and I'll post up a review when I've printed some more stuff :-)
    http://www.reprappertech.com/blog/Aluminum-filament1/

the picture on the page makes it look very dark - it isn't. Hang on:

Here's the aluminium filament next to a couple of trolley tokens printed with the copper filament.

Heres the aluminium filament by itself in comparison to one of my stainless steel scrapers. I haven't printed anything with the aluminium filament yet. Maybe today.

The copper filament is amazing. It actually has a metallic sheen. And bear in mind this stuff doesn't need to be sanded and polished. It's also a lot lighter than the colorfabb filaments, so you get more for your money.
    It's not abs though. Personally I thnk that's a bonus :-) The reprapper tech pla is super strong and every bit as durable as the abs I've used.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-11-2015 at 06:19 AM.

It's not abs though. Personally I thnk that's a bonus :-) The reprapper tech pla is super strong and every bit as durable as the abs I've used.
    Yeah, that's an issue for me.

Most recently, I've been printing out some lightsabers. think of a cylinder (actually, several cylinders connected with integrated printed screw threads / nuts ) with an acrylic tube sticking out. All the various PLA filaments (about 5 or so, all from different manufacturers) I've used end up cracking along the ridge lines due to stress when the blade hits something. I've never had that problem with any ABS... which is made even stronger with acetone vapor smoothing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah but it's not silver :-)

lol - just get some spray paint.

yeah but it's not silver :-)

lol - just get some spray paint.
    Silver is one of the hardest colors to paint, and paint in general will wear off with handling unless sealed with automotive-grade clear sealer... which adds it's own set of problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12