Close

Student

Starting a Business in the 3D printing Industry.

Hi there,

First of all let me briefly introduce myself, I am in my third year of University studying Furniture and Product Design and currently on a 6 month internship in the Netherlands as a Junior Designer. My skills are mainly 3D based; modeling, rendering, problem solving, product development.

Ideally I am looking for some sort of business partner, to set up something in the UK who would be willing to do this with me full time. I am aware that the market is growing very rapidly which is why I would like to get something going as soon as possible. There is also a big shortage of 3D printing shop (Selling printers and Consumables) in the UK with only one in London. Seeing the fascination of my relatives when the printer is running only makes me think that it could work, face to face support would also be a massive advantage which I'm sure we would all of appreciated when stuck on a problem.

I have other plans of expansion, offering services but I'll keep that to myself for now.

I have read a few book about business start-up but I am far from clued on the subject and I more than welcome any constructive criticism.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Ps: My main ambition is to bring 3D printing to the domestic environment.

Edit: Maplin Sold out of 3D printers, selling over 800.
    Last edited by Charles; 01-20-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    It sounds like a really interesting idea. I think we will start to see more and more 3D Printing shops pop up all around Europe and the US. There are already MakerBot stores in the US in 3 location. What I think is needed is a shop that carries a great range of 3D Printers, from all the companies including some of the smaller ones. I would think these smaller brand companies would be well willing to provide shops with free floor models to get them off the ground. Wish I could help, but being in the US would make things very difficult

Ed

Step 1: Write a business plan that sets realistic short, medium and long term goals, and involves a procedure for reviewing those goals.
    Step 2: As Eddie says, contact manufacturers and see if you can set up an on-seller arrangement.
    Step 3: Make sure that you have sufficient capital behind you, or some other regular source of income to fall back on for the first year. You will need a sum at least equal to a living wage.
    Step 4: Keep records of everything that you do for later examination and revue of your business plan.

These are the basic requirements for starting up any sort of business. The only thing that alters is the product or service you are supplying.

Are you in London, or elsewhere? If you are free to set up anywhere, find out where ASDA has one of its 3D print shops and set up nearby. Once people start seeing what ASDA is producing, they'll jump on the bandwagon pretty quick.

Old Man Emu

Student
    @Eddie Exactly What I'm thinking, it's just a matter of time before it happens! Price depending of course but I'm sure people would much rather make an informed purchase with the help of a clued salesman than on the web. I also can't see why manufactures would turn down a distributor.

@old man emu My university offer start-up advice for 2 years plus minimal funding. I'm just convinced I could do much better with someone I can bounce ideas with. Wait, did you say ASDA?! Since when do they have any involvement in 3D printing?
    Please explain why next to their store, I can only think that they would give me unwanted competition?

"The 3D printer market will grow from $288 million in 2012 to more than $5.7 billion by 2017" - Gartner
    Surely this has to be the safest industry to be starting up a business in?!
    Last edited by Charles; 01-21-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Read this: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...g-in-50-Stores

What ASDA is doing will generate interest in 3D Printing, but their staff will have minimal knowledge of the product. I know because I shopped there for a mobile phone a year ago and the sales person was more or less there just to process the purchase. If people see 3D Printing happening in an ASDA shop, and run across a knowledgeable source close by, then they are more likely to patronise the place where they get good answers to their enquiries.

Part of the advice that you will be given as part of your start up package is to prepare a business plan. Just Google "Business Plan" and you'll find lots of advice and templates. Just remember that a business plan will be modified continually as circumstances impact your activities, but you must have a starting point and some initial goals to aim for. And make the goals realistic. In your first year, you should be looking to generate enough income to carry on he business AND give yourself a living wage.

Your first job is to finish your website by completing the Portfolio page. You also have to proof read your text. Having a spelling mistake in the first few words isn't good - yeah.

Old Man Emu
    Last edited by old man emu; 01-21-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Student
    Thanks for the reply, by far the most helpful out of all the forums I've posted on.
    I'm very interested to see how ASDA will do this.

Yes, I'm currently working on updating the portfolio but the host being free is causing me some trouble.
    English isn't my first language but that's no excuse, thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Thanks for the reply, by far the most helpful out of all the forums I've posted on.
    That is what we are here for. Nice, friendly forum with no nastiness.

Always have a native speaker of a language read anything you intend to publish which is likely to create people's impression of you.

OME

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Always have a native speaker of a language read anything you intend to publish which is likely to create people's impression of you.
    Ding, ding!