Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacing Hexagon with E3Dv6

I figured I would post a topic in case anyone else would find the info useful. Here is my situation:

My hexagon hot end is dead in the water and instead of ordering the parts i need to fix it I was thinking of ordering an E3Dv6 to replace it. I have a Makerfarm i3v 12" and it is my only (non working) printer right now.

• Can the aluminum mount from the Hexagon be used to mount the E3Dv6 to the extruder from the kit?
    • Are there any other changes that need to be made to make the E3Dv6 work with the parts from the MakerFarm kit?

I ask because since I have no printer I can't print custom mounts or make modified parts. So I am hoping that it would just work to get me going again.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Technologist
    All I did was replace the the hexagon with e3d v6. The same mount worked great. Also open up what ever firmware you flashed to the board and change the number one to 5 for the thermistor in configuration.h. Here is the guide for everything. http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Assembly

Marlin
    Reconfigure your firmware for the Semitec 104GT2 thermistor: In configuration.h:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5

The Metal grove on the e3d v6 area might be bigger but still fits nice and tight. On the Metal plate and Greg.
    Last edited by rhonal89; 04-27-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhonal89 View Post
    All I did was replace the the hexagon with e3d v6. The same mount worked great. Also open up what ever fireware you flashed to the board and change the number one to 5 for the thermistor in configuration.h. Here is the guide for everything. http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Assembly

Marlin
    Reconfigure your firmware for the Semitec 104GT2 thermistor: In configuration.h:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5

The Metal grove on the e3d v6 area might be bigger but still fits nice and tight. On the Metal plate and Greg.
    Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks man

Technologist
    Here is a good video on assembly. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xr02pG58gaU

And don't forget the tube inside the hotend. I ended putting it all the way to the top almost to the hobbled bolt. But flush with the mount. You might need to drill out the mount to get it all the way up.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    Colin just started slinging E3d's on his site if you want to support him. Not sure how the pricing is.

Technologist
    The pricing seem OK. I bought mine on Amazon for 98. I bough the one that come with Bowden add-on. And Makerfarm has it for 82.95 1.75mm. Plus shipping. So 82.95+4.22 shippping=87.17 So if I would have found out sooner I would have saved 10.83 with makerfarm.

Student
    The Prometheus v2 is a very good alternative as well, and is around the same price point. Plus it is ajustable, and uses the same mounting plate etc. I bought it when my hexagon snapped.

this is the cheapest ive found..and you can find Coupon Codes online for a discount . I believe I got mine for like $75 with shipping

http://www.filastruder.com/products/...-e3d-v6-hotend

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    Colin just started slinging E3d's on his site if you want to support him. Not sure how the pricing is.
    Yeah I was actually in contact with him yesterday and he told me he just got them in. Glad to see he is offering it now, I will probably buy from him to keep supporting his store. His customer service has been so good and he is only around $4 more expensive than Filastruder.

NOTE! - You do need to get the 6mm birch mount plate for the e3dv6 to fit on the Prusa i3v. The 4.5mm aluminum one just isn't thick enough.

Technologist
    That is true. The aluminium is not too thick. But still worked perfect. I have over 100 hours printed like this. But if you want it to be correct. Then when you buy the e3d v6 from Colin I would I advice you to buy that piece also stuff do changes. Or you might print your self one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot_or_Stick View Post
    Yeah I was actually in contact with him yesterday and he told me he just got them in. Glad to see he is offering it now, I will probably buy from him to keep supporting his store. His customer service has been so good and he is only around $4 more expensive than Filastruder.

NOTE! - You do need to get the 6mm birch mount plate for the e3dv6 to fit on the Prusa i3v. The 4.5mm aluminum one just isn't thick enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast