Close

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Technologist

First successful results...

Here are the first successful results of my attempts to use 3d printing to assist in the production of pottery.

https://plus.google.com/118417197410...ts/jPbPaM8Kttr

Nothing fancy..., yet.

Hello Lakester. Interesting use you are putting your MakerFarm to. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by lakester View Post
    The process of line detection or vectorization is imperfect. Depending how one has tuned what are primarily image filters, shapes may be included in the initial vector product that ya don't want in the final product.
    I believe I tried using Inkscape for this exact reason at one point when doing some 3D modeling of my motorcycle engine. I'm not 100% positive on that though. I remember doing something similar but it never panned out in the end.

I snapped photos of my engine part and then using Inkscape I tried an automatic vector tracing feature. I believe it wasn't to my satisfactory so I ended up tracing it myself manualy. Later in my 3d modeling program (Blender) I used those vectors to make a 3d Model.

Now I've learned other ways to 3D model using reference images. It's accurate but I'm still learning how to perfect it. Mainly getting good reference photos without perspective is the key. My current plan is to design and 3d print an adjustable iphone cradle i can clamp to my table. Having the ability to adjust the height of my camera lens exactly where i want it and lock it into place will be valuable. I can lock it's height to the center height of the real life object I want to design.

Using this method I'm currently accurately replicating a fluid reservoir cover on my motorcycle.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    Hello Lakester. Interesting use you are putting your MakerFarm to. I like it.
    Thx!

I believe I tried using Inkscape for this exact reason at one point when doing some 3D modeling of my motorcycle engine. I'm not 100% positive on that though. I remember doing something similar but it never panned out in the end.
    Yah..., for the target medium, clay, Inkscape is OK. Same as you, when it's something based on an existing image, I'm finding it much easier to just trace it out, and export the resulting DXF. Inkscape is generally good for anything I do freehand as well. Again..., because the target is clay, precision isn't a big concern and all the shapes tend to be fairly simple.

Good luck with the phone cradle!

P.S.: I'm a little envious that you're working with Blender..., just don't know when I'm gonna find the time to learn it...

Technologist
    Long time no update.

I've been running with the original wood y-bed for around a year, and was living with the warping, since it was just missing direct interference with anything.

For a long time the bed had a clicking sound that I could never really isolate or eliminate..., and owing to the warp, the mechanical leveling was at the outer limits of possible.

The clicking and general feeling of "less than a precision instrument" wrt the likely binding of the delrin wheels, and the interest in taking the leveling thing to the next level finally reached a breaking point.

Finally got around to the aluminum bed upgrade.

I'd like to say that when I print something now, the angels sing and people stop me in the street to ask all manner of questions about 3d printing..., but I can't say that.

What I will say is that the y-bed now moves smoothly AND silently. Not much real change in print quality. My hope is that the bed is generally more stable and the manual mesh leveling doesn't have to be done too often.

The next upgrades being planned:

• Rear spool holder (lower the CG of the printer a bit)
    • Print a new Wade's extruder assy and mod with PTFE tubing.
      • I STILL may go with IBDFV2 someday, but for now, I want the cheapest solution to printing w/ ABS and flexible mat'l on the same machine.

• PWM/PID driven SSR for HB

That is all.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789