Close

Question Past Printer looking to buy

Hello,
    I previously have used a solidoodle v2 to print a few objects, now I want to buy a printer so I dont have to drive an hour to use a printer. After a ton of research I found the prusa 8 inch i3 on more than a fair share of sites saying it is a top 5 contender for best all around printer for the value. My problem is the solidoodle was preset and ready to roll with nearly no setup all I needed to do is add my model to the pc hooked to the printer and go. Since I have no experience with the setup or maintenance of the printers should I go ahead and order this or should I look for a different model for me? I am confident I can assemble it with my modest soldering skills and wiring aptitude, but the calibrations I am unsure of. Is this a fairly user friendly printer? I dont mind experimenting a bit but I didnt want to spend weeks just to get a fair print. I also wanted to know what nozzle size I should get with this IF you recommend it. Thanks

The MakerFarm Prusa i3 8" printer is easy to assemble. Every part and item of hardware is supplied, except the sheet of glass to go on the print pad, and the power supply. There is a series of videos on YouTube which take you through the step-by-step assembly and there is a build instruction document with further information.

The electronic controller comes already flashed, so there is no need to worry about that. The calibration of the three axes simply involves turning a screw until the endstop switches operate. Levelling of the Z-axis simply involved turning the threaded rods to make the extruder head go up or down so it clears the printer pad by about 2 thou of an inch (thickness of photocopy paper). If you are able to heat a bit of wire and dab some solder onto it, then you are OK.

Old Man Emu

Help from the manufacturer is only an email away. And of course you can ask those of here who have already got theirs up and running if you strike a problem.

That is great news, I had heard horror stories about it taking weeks before a decent quality print was completed. I am going to order it next Friday and see how it goes. Thank you!

I ordered today but didnt get any filament since makerfarm is sold out of 3mm. Do you all have a favorite supplier? I did order a polycarbonate roll but want to work in abs to get used to it. So in about 10 days I should have my kit to start the building process lol

Engineer
    master pla first then abs then move onto the more exotic filaments. most polycarb requires too high a temp to be used with a standard hotend. you need an all metal hot end capable of high temps. peek insulators will melt by the time to get to the melt point of polycarb. if your looking for a clear filament like polycarb then use a pet filament like madesolid's pet+

Well the .40mm Magma Nozzle I bought with it (on a suggestion from a maker I know) Prints ABS, PVA, Polycarbonate, HIPS but NOT Pla... I have used a few other printers in the past but this is the first one I will own and setup on my own. Since it doesnt do PLA I was going to start with ABS and work from there, I am used to the smell it makes when too hot and small details like that. Should I order a second nozzle for PLA?

Engineer
    ahhh i had to look that up. it is an all metal hot end. its interesting that its doesnt do pla. i wonder what it is that makes it not work. huh, well anyway i dont use pla at all. only abs, nylon and pet. i always recommend people start with pla since its easier to work with for people new to 3d printing. you can certainly start with abs. no problem with that at all.