Close

3d scan + 3d print for broken plastic part camera lens

Hi,
    I am totally new to this world. I am wondering if it is possible to send a broken part (basically a cracked spacer - part #3 here https://www.flickr.com/photos/death7...n/photostream/ - the part of the photo is not cracked, but mine is) to a 3d print shop so that they can send me a non cracked one.

Any help would be appreciated.

The part is slightly more than a spacer, there is a small track for a rotating part and 7 holes for screws (3 on top, 4 on the back with threads in the plastic to grab the screw). The part is in hard plastic.

Best regards,

Staff Engineer
    3D print shops generally expect you to do the modeling; all they do is the printing. Perhaps there are some now that will try to duplicate a broken part, but unless it's a part of a very expensive machine I doubt it will be economically feasible to pay someone to reverse-engineer it for you.

On the other hand, this might be a good project for you to wet your feet on. Download a free 3D modeling application like Tinkercad or Sketchup and see if you can make a model from measurements taken from your broken part. It will be a learning experience, if nothing else, and once it comes back from the print shop, you can see if it works.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com