Close

Rumba and WiFi (or possibly Ethernet)

The first question is: Can Rumba be set up with external hardware to allow remote control over WiFi (or Ehternet)

I suspect the answer is YES as most things are possible (eventually!)

The second question is: Has anyone done this, if so are they willing to share the steps required?

Thanks

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. Also, i've been throwing around the idea of getting a wifi sd card to leave it in the printer and put items on it remotely, i wonder if anyone has done that too.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrot_or_Stick View Post
    i've been throwing around the idea of getting a wifi sd card to leave it in the printer and put items on it remotely, i wonder if anyone has done that too.
    There is a thread on it. Use the "Search" function and search for Flashair.

Technician
    Alternatively, Octoprint on a raspberry pi can enable control, slicing, webcam, monitoring over intranet/internet: http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ight=octoprint

Thanks for the responses. Must admit I'd never heard of a WiFi SD card before. That would be great for just putting files on the SD card, but I was hoping to be able to control and monitor as well. Currently I have about 75ft of Ethernet cable running from the computer to the printer, connected at either end to USB repeaters so I can connect Computer USB to Printer USB and get full control / functionality from S3D at the computer. I was hoping to be able to replace the cable with a WiFi link. I have some spare arduino boards and WiFi modules hiding around the place... maybe time to experiment.

Ive been using OctoPi that is easy to set up and does everything from slicing to full control of the print. Also can set up a web cam that you can monitor from anywhere.

Again, thanks for the replies. Dug up a Raspberry Pi board but I had a problem as I didn't have easy access to an HDMI monitor or USB keyboard and mouse, however a little searching came up with a simple way to set it all up over an SSH link. I had a few stability issues, but finally tracked them down to an under-powered power supply. All is good!