Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

general 3D printing build vs software

Hey guys, quick one, looks like building a 3D printer (mechanics) is fairly straight forward, so does one just build the mechanics then apply software ? if yes how does the software know how long the X Y Z axis is and where the laser is..etc

Or does a 3rd party company do all that for you ?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Laser? What laser?

Laser cutters have lasers, 3f 3D printers have extruders, some 3d printers use lasers and resins, some use UV panels.

A read up on wikipedia or other sites explaining how 3d printers of all types might do you some good.

And to know the length of the various axis, there are end stop switches, so when it bumps into the switch, the software knows where it is.

Some hardware requires certain software, others require others. Your printing and design style will require another set of software while other people prefer another. You just have to to match the right stuff.

Laser as in the part that cures the resin, so SLA 3D printers or even DLP printers.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Well, some printers come premade, so the 3rd party would do that. Some are kits, so you would have to build it, and some are in between. It all depends on what printer you're using. The motion control software runs the positioning.

ok, i was asking because i would like to build a 3D DLP printer, i have the hardware figured out just need software to make it work.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Err... yeah... going down the path of an XY problem here.

Well, at least you haven't built it yet, as you're going to find the hardware you have laid out probably won't work 100% with the software you finally decide upon. So, find the software close to what you want, and adjust your design. Or edit the software/firmware to match your design.

I see, ok so find a software and work off of that which is the first i'm haring if this as i see allot of people online that seem to build then go hardware but that fine detail maybe overlooked when they are typing there "how tos"

Ok, so any good software companies or do i Google 3D printing software (which seems to come up with CAD)

Staff Engineer
    While it's pretty common for people to build their own hot plastic extrusion printers, DLP is a whole 'nother thing. (And it doesn't use lasers - that's SLA). DLP printers use a digital projector shining through the bottom of a clear tank to catalyze a whole layer at a time against a build platform, which then raises up a tiny bit and the process repeats. Unlike the more common type of printers, the software that runs them isn't widely available. You might look at the B9 Creator, which is a DLP printer that's popular among jewelers. The firmware runs on an Arduino, and the software started out as an open-source project, although I'm not sure how open it is at this point.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    While it's pretty common for people to build their own hot plastic extrusion printers, DLP is a whole 'nother thing. (And it doesn't use lasers - that's SLA). DLP printers use a digital projector shining through the bottom of a clear tank to catalyze a whole layer at a time against a build platform, which then raises up a tiny bit and the process repeats. Unlike the more common type of printers, the software that runs them isn't widely available. You might look at the B9 Creator, which is a DLP printer that's popular among jewelers. The firmware runs on an Arduino, and the software started out as an open-source project, although I'm not sure how open it is at this point.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    I was planning on builing one myslef, a DLP is going to have faster build times as it projects layer by layer rather then cure the whole layer one spec at a time (SLA)

I found a good DLP DIY tutorial, i saw rhe hardware involved and its strait forwards really, my whole thing is the software, how does the software know the XYZ, i was suggested that its best to get a software first then build to its requirements for hardware.

I would like to build a DLP, the hardware is fairly easy but its the software that's scratchy.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Have you looked at the cost of resin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast