Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Second Print! Still needs some work...

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while as I was saving up for my 12" i3v. i got it a few weeks back and took my time putting it together over a few weekends. I printed off a 24mm cube last weekend and I could tell my printer needed some work. I tightened my belts and adjusted my rollers so they would be tight but able to roll. A little grease and a bunch of failed tries and I got my second cube printed last night. The first layer is much better after adjusting my Z height but I never thought to level my X to my Y axis so Ill check that out tonight.

Let me know what you guys think? I believe I am over extruding material so I'll need to look into how to fix that as well. Using Slicr 0.9.9 with the stock config from Colin. Makerfarm silver 1.75mm PLA used.

CalibCube_2_Profile.jpgCalbCube_2_First Layer.jpgCalbCube_2_Layer Details.jpg
    Last edited by Carrot_or_Stick; 04-13-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what layer resolution is that printed at ?

Printed at .2mm @225C (Hotend) and 70C (Bed)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    what layer resolution is that printed at ?

Technician
    Bottom seems nicely filled. Top may be passably filled where it is supported by the infill, but droopy everywhere else. The sagging may be why the lines don't touch. Or else it may actually be underextruding a bit. Main problem to me is the perimeters are not perfectly lined up. I would drop the extruder temp a bit (190º-200º?) which may help with both the top sagging and the perimeters staying put.

Do you have a fan for cooling the part? Probably not necessary for the cube, but if you are going to do a lot of PLA it could be very useful.

Edit: BTW, nice self diagnosing/fixing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jasay View Post
    Bottom seems nicely filled. Top may be passably filled where it is supported by the infill, but droopy everywhere else. The sagging may be why the lines don't touch. Or else it may actually be underextruding a bit. Main problem to me is the perimeters are not perfectly lined up. I would drop the extruder temp a bit (190º-200º?) which may help with both the top sagging and the perimeters staying put.

Do you have a fan for cooling the part? Probably not necessary for the cube, but if you are going to do a lot of PLA it could be very useful.

Edit: BTW, nice self diagnosing/fixing so far.
    Thanks, I'm trying learn as much as a I can on my own before I ask. I plan to print Clough42's Print Cooling Fan System (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:351280) in the near future as well as his Improved Hexagon Cooling System (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:335613) to help cool the part and keep stray air away from the bed.

I'll try the temperature adjustments tonight after checking that my X axis is level when compared to the Y axis. Is 70c still good for the bed?

Technician
    70°C should be fine.

Tried printing at 200c and the results are below. The knob end up being too large at the base so I can't push it in to go through the options on the LCD display. I also found that my extruder gears have been getting chewed up because somehow it tightened itself. I loosened the bolt and it turns much easier now so I'll have to see how/if it affects the edges in my prints since the bottom and top are not filled in like I would like.

Am I experiencing Z wobble?

Knob_3rd Print_1.jpgKnob_3rd Print_2.jpgKnob_3rd Print_3.jpg
    Last edited by Carrot_or_Stick; 04-14-2015 at 08:50 AM.

what do you have your first layer height and extrusion set to?
    the only reason the knob would be too large at the base is extrusion is too much, or you are smushing your first layer to the point where it is enlarging the print.
    so i would try to do first layer height at 100% and extrusion at 90% for pla or 100% for ABS and see what happens.
    the layer issues you are seeing (the fact that they arent in line) could be a number of factors, but most likely slop somewhere in the system.
    I had those issues as well. now im getting prints that look like this. after only a few test prints.

First pic is before i had all my stuff slop free

this is after i tightened and tuned everything. stick with it.

picture doesnt do it justice.

Layer height was set to .2 and extrusion was set to .3 so i'll drop it down to .18 so hit that 90% of height mark you mentioned. Also the knob is too big due to design of the part, it's not made for the graphical LCD on my 12" i3v it seems.

I've tightened my belts and can't get them any tighter since I'm all the way over in the adjustment slots for the motor bolts. But the belts seem fine to me, I can pluck them like guitar strings. I leveled my X rails to the Y rails last night and leveled the bed nicely.

Outside of tightening belts what else can i adjust (tighten) to remove any slop?

Thanks for all the help, your prints look great!

Quote Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
    what do you have your first layer height and extrusion set to?
    the only reason the knob would be too large at the base is extrusion is too much, or you are smushing your first layer to the point where it is enlarging the print.
    so i would try to do first layer height at 100% and extrusion at 90% for pla or 100% for ABS and see what happens.
    the layer issues you are seeing (the fact that they arent in line) could be a number of factors, but most likely slop somewhere in the system.
    I had those issues as well. now im getting prints that look like this. after only a few test prints.

First pic is before i had all my stuff slop free

this is after i tightened and tuned everything. stick with it.

picture doesnt do it justice.

Engineer-in-Training
    This may be a dumb question but is your extruder tight to the X cradle? If it is loose at all, that can cause a little play in the X/Y direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast