Close

Technologist

another ramps vs rumba q..., sorry!

I'm a few days away from ordering either the 10" or 12" i3v. A few days ago..., RAMPS was the only option bundled w/ the 10"..., now the RUMBA choice is available with that kit as well as the 12".

Since this will be my first 3d printer, I could easily be missing something, but...

With a few possible exceptions, the functionality I think I care about is addressed by RAMPS just fine. The only "sexy" mod I'm contemplating that might be impacted is ABL, and that seems at least possible w/ either controller, w/ varying degrees of difficulty.

Some of the exceptions...

• RUMBA can be powered at 24V. Not sure if the table heater can take that, but being able to run w/ a single 24V supply might be nice.
    • Does RUMBA have a faster processor, or is it somehow future-proofed better than RAMPS in some way?
    • Oh yeah, the graphical display. Really better?

Ultimately, I guess it doesn't really matter. Probably should just go w/ RAMPS first..., since one major advantage of going the reprap/makerfarm route..., I can change it all anytime anyway.

Thoughts? (Thx!)

I just got my 12" with Rumba board up and running and haven't had any issues. I chose the Rumba over RAMPS for the updated design, replaceable stepper drivers, and the ability to use up to three extruders with the rumba out of the box (thinking down the line for upgrades).

I have not done much research with ABL for the Rumba but I know some folks have it running so it's possible.

Also, the 12" comes with a relay to power the heated bed so you wire directly to the relay then to the bed from your power supply.