Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Well first off:
    No 3D printer I know of supports any form of 3D model format (not StL, X3D, OBj, etc). They all use G-Code or something similar, that is output from a slicer program that reads in the model and outputs the command language for the printer.

So you want a slicer program that supports more formats. There are a couple that support both StL and WaveFront (.OBJ). Though the best way about it is to convert the model you are working from into a StL format, most 3D modelers support exporting to StL (including Blender, which it sounds like you may be using). There are also command line tools for converting from one 3D model format to another.

As to the printer to use:
    I ask you what is the maximum size you will need to print (x, y, z all three ways)?

As to material:
    I see no reason it would make a huge difference for your application, so long as the printer you use does well with the material you use.

As to budget:
    There are 3D printers that cost as little as $250, and some that cost upwards of $400,000.00, so I do believe that having some idea of your budget is important, at least a range.
    I thought some printers can print in color with the x3d file ect, but as to size I have no idea but would like around the size of a human head and possibly slightly larger, also my budget would be around maybe 1000 GBP or 1500 usd I guess, I am looking on Ebay at the moment and see some printers I may get lucky with and grab one cheaper that costs more from the retailer. I have seen a few and one is a Wanhao ds5 large build that looks like it can do big enough printing, and also a focus l8 single extruder which again looks big enough, but I have no idea if any of them are any good, or if they can use rubber flex material or just abs pla, and can these printers print with some kind of see through material? like acrylic?

I am thinking of buying a Wanhao d5s large build, does anybody know if this printer is a good printer or not?

makergeeks sells Wanhao and a bunch of other printers http://www.makergeeks.com/3dprinters.html

I would contact them to see what they say about Wanhao vs their other printers. They sell a giant printer too.

Makergear M2 has incredibly good reviews on Amazon as does Flashforge. TAZ Mini prints great, but might be too small for your app so TAZ 5 would be a good option as it has a large build volume. The only one I know of that I mentioned here that comes with a type of auto bed leveling is the Mini.

Verify Amazon reviews against forum discussions / google searches to validate the info.

There's also cartesian vs delta printers. I'm not really caught up on the world of delta printers, but I know some of them come with auto-bed leveling as well.

I'm leaving out options, so maybe others could chime in.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I see quite a it of buyers remorse in the OP's future here. You're asking the wrong questions, and we're giving you the questions to be asking, but you're ignoring them. Try looking at the previous replies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12