Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gap in external perimeter

It is sort of hard to see with the black but for the life of me I can't get my printer to make a cylinder with no void when it stops on the perimeter. I have a Da Vinci 1.0 and I am using Repetier with the luc firmware and Slic3r. I have tried tweaking every setting I can think of to no avail. I searched quite a bit but I could find anyone having this same issue. I am getting good prints, about .1mm variance on the diameter when running slow and .2mm to .3mm faster setting but they all have the same gap. I changed the starting point from aligned to random and that just made the whole part look like crap. No matter how slow I go it is still there. I tried having it push out more material when it stops and that just made a mess. Any help or insight you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Engineer
    Picture please, it's much easier for us to know what you're describing.

Engineer
    Ah that line? It's typically a slicing problems and the thickness of your cylinder. Thick circular circular shape tends to negate that effect, but the main problem itself is the slicing.

Curious has experienced with Simplify3D, I think he can confirm what I said, since he has the option to check generate random?

Yes it is that line, that evil little line. It is about 1mm wide and deep. I usually only run 2 vertical perimeter I haven't tried more but I have ran full solids that have the same issue. I haven't tried Simplify3D.

Engineer
    Do try a cilinder about 5mm wall+ try an infill of 35%, let me know if it solves your problem.

It has also to do with the settings, basically overextrusion and other mistery...

Yes, The last time I saw that one the resolution was to increase perimeter overlap.
    It looks like your infill overlap is not high enough over your perimeters. It may be an unfortunate number rounding issue for that direction/case on infill. The rest of the fill to perimeters look like they are just touching- but fine. Skeinforge has a setting for that, I cannot remember about Slic3r.
    I only used slic3r for a little while until I got to the point in my machine calibration where I wanted more control. But you go from like 20 settings to like 100, so a little good and bad- mostly good, but more work.

I truly appreciate your feed back and help with this issue but a 5mm wall isn't always an option. I will definitely give it a shot tonight to see if it resolves any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Do try a cilinder about 5mm wall+ try an infill of 35%, let me know if it solves your problem.

It has also to do with the settings, basically overextrusion and other mistery...
    Last edited by sundewzer; 03-31-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks for the idea. I did some research on infill overlap and I guess the newest experiment version of slic3r has an infill overlap option but the current stable version doesn't. I found someone suggesting reducing the extrusion width to adjust the overlap for the 1.1.7 version of slic3r. My understanding is for it to increase the overlap by drawing the lines closer together but I am not sure this will fix my issue with the perimeter gap.

I thought slic3r had a lot of options, skeinforge is a little overwhelming. I might upgrade someday but for now I think I will stick with

Quote Originally Posted by MercedesStolp View Post
    Yes, The last time I saw that one the resolution was to increase perimeter overlap.
    It looks like your infill overlap is not high enough over your perimeters. It may be an unfortunate number rounding issue for that direction/case on infill. The rest of the fill to perimeters look like they are just touching- but fine. Skeinforge has a setting for that, I cannot remember about Slic3r.
    I only used slic3r for a little while until I got to the point in my machine calibration where I wanted more control. But you go from like 20 settings to like 100, so a little good and bad- mostly good, but more work.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    I have found that to be a problem at times. I think its a result of the start/end points. But thats just a guess. Closer photos would help.

I use Simplify3D and it has an option to randomize the start/end points of each layer, otherwise slicers will try to put start/end points as close together as possible to reduce travel time and thus print time. Frankly, the difference, even in long large prints has been mere seconds in overall print time. So worth the option.

I have no experience with slicr so I don't know if it has that option. I don't think Cura does either.

Technically, in order to "try" Simplify3D, you have to buy it. They have removed the demo option. But, if you search the underground of the internet, you can find the old demo. If you try hard enough. I did. And I bought S3D because once I played with it I saw how much better and easier it is to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast