Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Not all Slicers are created equal

I know this is the forum for MakerFarm equipment and this relates to my experience with my MakerFarm 12" i3v. I've had my printer now since mid January 2015 and have struggled with it constantly as far as getting parts that either A. Looked Presentable or B. Was within measurable tolerance of the original designed printed piece. I was struggling with the looks of the parts as well as measured holes and what not. I was really beginning to think that it was a helpless cause achieving both A and or B. Until..someone suggested I try a different Slicer program. I had been using Slic3r on the recommendation of Colin at MakerFarm. For what it is, Slic3r is okay. It does its job but leaves a few things left to be desired as far as features. I recently started using Kisslicer and it is like someone flipped a switch on my printer and it became a whole new machine. My parts started coming out more accurate and looked more like what I thought the finished products should be. I found the wonderful awesomeness of the Flow Control Tweak in Kisslicer and am really making good progress on my prints. I guess my point to this post is that if anyone who has a MakerFarm printer is struggling like I did, disappointed, or not happy, I recommend giving Kisslicer a try. It really worked for me. I would be more than happy to share what settings I have come up with for the latest version.

Engineer
    I found the same thing when I tried Simplify3D

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm not ready to spend 150 on a slicer just yet. I'd be interested in your settings for Kisslicer.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    I'm not ready to spend 150 on a slicer just yet. I'd be interested in your settings for Kisslicer.
    I'm at work right now but once I get home this afternoon, I will post them here for you.

Below you will find a zip file with my Kisslicer settings. Just extract them to the root folder where your kisslicer main exe is and they will be available in the program. Before doing that though, backup whatever settings files you have in there already or may want to revert back to. Also I am adding a link to a test print object that I have been using to fine tune the Tweak Flow setting in kisslicer. I print it, see how the parts fit, and then either lower or raise the flow rate number to achieve the fit I want. I have also printed a 20mm box and have gotten it to within half a millimeter using calipers.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by walkercreations; 03-28-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added attachments and information

Engineer
    It looks like KISSlicer hasn't been updated for a while, especially if you want a stable, less-buggy program.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    It looks like KISSlicer hasn't been updated for a while, especially if you want a stable, less-buggy program.
    True, it has been 2 years since the program was last updated however I have not had any issues so far using it. I am actually considering purchasing the Pro version of it because of the results I have been able to achieve so far. I am merely suggesting an alternative to other programs that are out there and each user has to decide for themselves what will work best for them.

Prior to switching to S3D I was using Crua with very good results.

does anyone have a great printer profile for the prusa i3v 12" hex head for simplify 3d?

What the only custom things to setup that take repeated printings are things like bridge settings... And they vary by printer because the are so heavily dependent on the environment.

Hey just found your message, plz let me know your settings, I also have the pursa 12" and am very interested in your findings

Quote Originally Posted by walkercreations View Post
    I know this is the forum for MakerFarm equipment and this relates to my experience with my MakerFarm 12" i3v. I've had my printer now since mid January 2015 and have struggled with it constantly as far as getting parts that either A. Looked Presentable or B. Was within measurable tolerance of the original designed printed piece. I was struggling with the looks of the parts as well as measured holes and what not. I was really beginning to think that it was a helpless cause achieving both A and or B. Until..someone suggested I try a different Slicer program. I had been using Slic3r on the recommendation of Colin at MakerFarm. For what it is, Slic3r is okay. It does its job but leaves a few things left to be desired as far as features. I recently started using Kisslicer and it is like someone flipped a switch on my printer and it became a whole new machine. My parts started coming out more accurate and looked more like what I thought the finished products should be. I found the wonderful awesomeness of the Flow Control Tweak in Kisslicer and am really making good progress on my prints. I guess my point to this post is that if anyone who has a MakerFarm printer is struggling like I did, disappointed, or not happy, I recommend giving Kisslicer a try. It really worked for me. I would be more than happy to share what settings I have come up with for the latest version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast