Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Vertical line on circular prints with Makerbot 5th gen

Hey all,

I'm finding on anything I print that is more or less circular has a long vertical line the length of the whole print down it.

It appears with makerbot slicing the extruder does a circle then turns around and goes back the other way in the same spot causing this vertical line.

If I use simplify3d slicing this doesn't happen. I would continue using s3d but im having issues with the rafts bubbling and bonding to the print.

If anyone can advise how to fix the vertical line issues I would happy to stick with the makerbot software. Not sure what can be changed in custom profiles to fix this?

Many thanks
    Brett

Thought this picture might help explain it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Hi there
    If this is 5th gen Desktop then I would suggest to upgrade it to latest Destkop (3.6) and latest Firmware (1.6)
    Try again and let me know if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Hi there
    If this is 5th gen Desktop then I would suggest to upgrade it to latest Destkop (3.6) and latest Firmware (1.6)
    Try again and let me know if it helps.
    hey there
    yep have both of those already!

Technician
    Maybe you are using old print file, made from some of previous verisons? If so, reslice it.

What is left is Custom profile.
    I don't know how familiar you are with it, but generaliy you have to increase distance between start and stop point of extrusion (during those circles).
    To do so, is easy: just increase the value of "ozze" distance from 0.1 (factory) to 0.2
    Make sure to do so at 2 placese of occurance of this parameter.
    You will be able to notice difference even in Print Preview.
    If still not good enought then maybe 0.3 .... etc.

I hope this will do

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Maybe you are using old print file, made from some of previous verisons? If so, reslice it.

What is left is Custom profile.
    I don't know how familiar you are with it, but generaliy you have to increase distance between start and stop point of extrusion (during those circles).
    To do so, is easy: just increase the value of "ozze" distance from 0.1 (factory) to 0.2
    Make sure to do so at 2 placese of occurance of this parameter.
    You will be able to notice difference even in Print Preview.
    If still not good enought then maybe 0.3 .... etc.

I hope this will do
    many thanks. i will run some test prints now. i noticed ooze and preooze variables, would you recommend changing both?

Engineer
    The slicer just had failed on your cylinder.
    This happens often with thin wall extrusion, fast print and on top of that if you ever print with high Z layer .

One solution to check, print one, but slowly with .1 or .2mm height AND try to increase thickness of the object itself.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    This happens often with thin wall extrusion, fast print and on top of that if you ever print with high Z layer .

One solution to check, print one, but slowly with .1 or .2mm height AND try to increase thickness of the object itself.
    I had no luck with the ooze settings. The same thing has happened with any cylinder I print on both the 5th gen mini and 5th gen rep printers i've had.

Do you have any recommendations on speed while extruding and travelling in mm/s? default is 90/150

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post

I'm noticing that even with slow extrusion of the outlines that the retraction is always at the same point on the cylinder. Is there anyway to change the same retraction point on the Z axis?

Technician
    Hi
    Try out like this:
    "preOozeFeedstockDistance": 1.1, (this is in 2 places of profile, change both to same value)

"infill": {
    "feedrate": 90,
    "temperature_disabled": 230.0
    },
    "insets": {
    "feedrate": 45,
    },
    "outlines": {
    "feedrate": 25,

this kind of change should bring you to different results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast