Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jammed Nozzle help - CTC: Makerbot Replicator 2X

Hi all,

I have a CTC Makerbot Replicator 2X that I have had for a couple of months, and it has just jammed for the first time. I took the nozzle off to soak it in acetone to clear the jam, but it has this plastic tube on it that I cannot get off. If I put it in acetone it will dissolve this tube too will it not? I am not sure if this tube is important, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the nozzle and tube:

Many thanks,
    Sam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe that's a PTFE liner, which won't dissolve in acetone. https://capolight.files.wordpress.co...g?w=832&h=1005

Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    I believe that's a PTFE liner, which won't dissolve in acetone. https://capolight.files.wordpress.co...g?w=832&h=1005
    What does that do? Help feed the filament? Thanks for the help! I didn't want to accidentally dissolve it in-case it was important!

PTFE is pretty slick, so it guides the filament down through the cold break into the melt chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dkarma View Post
    PTFE is pretty slick, so it guides the filament down through the cold break into the melt chamber.
    Ah I see thanks for the help, I'll soak it in acetone tomorrow. My extruder is making a clicking noise when I load the filament, so I'm guessing there's a jam somewhere.

Senior Engineer
    My guess would be that the PTFE tube in question has distorted. It is not really supposed to come out of the stainless steel heat dispersing tube.

I would warm it with a hot air gun gently until the PTFE tube comes out then pick out the plastic that is stuck in there with heat as much as you can then clean with Acetone or MEK. << vicious stuff is MEK be careful.

It does seem that there is a lot of evidence that sort of says that once a nozzle has started blocking it will continue to block and it's best just to replace it. Certainly on mine that was the case. For the cost of these parts it is best to consider them as consumables, chuck that one in a box marked "spares that may work" and buy a new nozzle and stainless tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    My guess would be that the PTFE tube in question has distorted. It is not really supposed to come out of the stainless steel heat dispersing tube.

I would warm it with a hot air gun gently until the PTFE tube comes out then pick out the plastic that is stuck in there with heat as much as you can then clean with Acetone or MEK. << vicious stuff is MEK be careful.

It does seem that there is a lot of evidence that sort of says that once a nozzle has started blocking it will continue to block and it's best just to replace it. Certainly on mine that was the case. For the cost of these parts it is best to consider them as consumables, chuck that one in a box marked "spares that may work" and buy a new nozzle and stainless tube.
    I think replacing the stainless steel tube is beyond my knowledge, is buying a new nozzle and PTFE tube a better idea? Where does the tube go does it just stick up inside the hole the nozzle threads into?

I tried to take the other nozzle off that jammed also, it kept moving so I tightened the screw that secures it, but over tightened it, stripped the thread now it seems like that nozzle is unusable now as it will keep moving
    Thanks for all the help!

Senior Engineer
    Are you trying to remove these nozzles while the extruder is off?

If so that explains why the PTFE tube came out. The plastic is solid when cold so you can do all sorts of damage trying to dismantle it without heat.

I did a preheat to 205C, but as soon as it reached it I unscrewed it, should I have left it a little longer?

Senior Engineer
    No, that is fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast