Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY UV Resin

DIY UV Resin

After googling around a bit I found these two forum posts from forever ago that seem interesting. I was wondering has anyone tried this? $1-10 a liter for UV setting resin is awfully attractive for rapid prototyping even if the result isn't as good as with MakerJuice.

Quote Originally Posted by amoose136 View Post
    After googling around a bit I found these two forum posts from forever ago that seem interesting. I was wondering has anyone tried this? $1-10 a liter for UV setting resin is awfully attractive for rapid prototyping even if the result isn't as good as with MakerJuice.
    should be fine, just make sure you have proper ventilation because some resins are more volatile and stinky than others. Also wear nitrile gloves to protect your skin and you probably need an accurate scale to measure out smaller quantities accurately. I'm personally experimenting with a resin made from flax seed oil and using a catalyst made from tumeric, because I want something non-toxic and biodegradeable.

Engineer
    Also make sure to check the MSDS for every product you buy to make the resin.....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    turmeric ?

Okay now I'm fascinated. So what are you using that react to uv light ? Or is that the tumeric ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    turmeric ?

Okay now I'm fascinated. So what are you using that react to uv light ? Or is that the tumeric ?
    It absorbs UV light and then gives it's energy to the resin to start polymerization, either directly or through another radical generator like benzoyl peroxide.

Quote Originally Posted by amirjabri View Post
    It absorbs UV light and then gives it's energy to the resin to start polymerization, either directly or through another radical generator like benzoyl peroxide.
    Does this really work?

Quote Originally Posted by mik111 View Post
    Does this really work?

Yes, but it cures slower than the commercial resins, but the plus side is it is biodegradeable and non-toxic.

Yes, but it cures slower than the commercial resins, but the plus side is it is biodegradeable and non-toxic.
    How long does it take to set?

This is another viable option. At around $18 US a liter if bought in units of a gallon and with free shipping, it might be a winner of acquirability-cost ratio assuming it can cure alright without too much warping.

I have tried this but it does not work I used boiled linseed oil?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast