Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Draled View Post
    I just built mine a couple of weeks ago, I used the hexagon fan shroud that came with it. I had issues with abs warping, then I turned the fan around and pulled the air and then the warping went away.

My girlfriend was not happy with it begin on the kitchen table. Its been there for a couple of weeks now and the complaints have lessened. I should probably think about moving it, but not sure where to. The build took me about 12 hours, but I'm slow and and like to over think.
    Nice. Yeah I'm really excited about the 12" print volume but a little nervous that I'm not going to find a convenient place to put it. Meaning I'll likely have to calibrate every time I go to print something. Who know's though, maybe she'll find a use for it too and then I could just leave it in the living room .

Technician
    Ok, this next step has me a little nervous. I just finished assembling the extruder and now the directions tell me to hook the rumba board up tot he heater and the thermister in the hot end and bring it up to 220c and then tighten it.

1. So did you guys skip this step and come back to it when you had all your electronics mounted and hooked up? And to I need to have the heat sinks on the stepper drivers before I apply power to the rumba board at this point or just before I actually try to drive motors with it?

2. What did you set the hot end on while it was heating up?

3. Any other advice around this step other than don't get burned? lol

Student
    It was scary but not difficult at all. I used the glass that I had cut for the bed to place the hotend on while it reached temperature. Then grabbed an adjustable wrench and tightened it up. Be careful when tightening the heater block as it is easy to mess up the threads with the wrench supplied. Tightening the nozzle is simple.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by kablahz View Post
    It was scary but not difficult at all. I used the glass that I had cut for the bed to place the hotend on while it reached temperature. Then grabbed an adjustable wrench and tightened it up. Be careful when tightening the heater block as it is easy to mess up the threads with the wrench supplied. Tightening the nozzle is simple.
    did you do the steps in sequence so that the electronics were only hooked to the thremister and the heater or did you come back to this step once you had all the other electronics hooked up? Was you glass already on your bed? I was worried that it would damage the glass or the heater under it if I had the hot end resting on the glass.

Technician
    You don't need anything else attached to the board other than power, thermistor, extruder heater cartridge and some way to control the nozzle temperature (LCD or USB with pronterface [or other software]). You are not using any motors so stepper driver heat sinks are not needed.

I put the nozzle in a small metal vise to hold while it was heating, but that is just because I had one handy. Glass will certainly not melt and shouldn't scratch or anything. My only worry there would be too fast local heating/cooling.

I actually did do mine out of sequence, but only because I finished the build while waiting for my power supply to arrive.

Technician
    First print underway! It is late and I just grabbed some of my wife's hairspray, corners look ok, i think one might be lifting, plan to get some purple gluestick, this is Garnier Sleek and Shine Extra Strong #4. I'll post more pics when it finishes and seek advice on tweaks.

20150411_212322.jpg20150411_212602.jpg

Technician
    Finished! There were a few dark specks that seemed to come out of the extruder but other than that I think this is a decent looking first print. All I did was level the table. I think I need to calibrate the extrusion rate next, any other ideas or recomendations? Is this quality good enough for me to print all the printable spare parts for the the I3v?
    20150411_221336.jpg20150411_221418.jpg20150411_221317.jpg20150411_221510.jpg

Lastly I noticed this goober on the bottom of the extruder, is that normal?

20150411_221657.jpg

Oh and do I need to apply hairspray or glue stick before each print?

Engineer
    how accurate are the dimensions? and yes goobers are normal in my experience

you only need to add hairspray/glue if stuff isnt sticking. also sometimes you can shift the XY Start position so its not always starting at the same location where the hairspray/glue might have worn out.

Technologist
    Congrats on the successful print!

Within the next few days I'm hopefully ordering either the 10" or 12".

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    how accurate are the dimensions? and yes goobers are normal in my experience

you only need to add hairspray/glue if stuff isnt sticking. also sometimes you can shift the XY Start position so its not always starting at the same location where the hairspray/glue might have worn out.
    Cube dimensions were right on at 24mm!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast