Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Technician

SgtToe 12" i3v Build Thread

Well I just placed my order, very exciting. I plan to use this thread to ask questions about my build as well as document my progress.
    ORDERED:

1. 12" i3v w/ RUMBA, .40 Hexagon 3mm Hotend
    2. .3mm nozzle for hot end
    3. Extra Thermestor
    4. spool of purple abs filament

Will order power supply from Amazon later today:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7CWSCG/...=I9TN4FAUHQABW

Mitigating Spousal Annoyance will figure highly into the process, lol. She is a good sport in supporting all my hobbies and so I want to do what I can to preserver harmony in our little apartment. So my proposed timeline with the wife is as follows:
    • one weekend of taking over the dining room table for the build process.
    • two weeks of completed printer sitting on our dresser in the bedroom of our apartment, for calibration, configuration and misc printing exp.
    • one weekend of building an enclosure
    • printer in new home inside enclosure.

After the printer is in good running order and in an enclosure next steps will be:
    1. Misc improvements community recommends like feet, fan shroud ect.
    2. Octo Pi and web cam (enclosure will have no windows)
    3. Relay hooked to octo Pi to turn printer on and off
    4. Air scrubber http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:125264
    Last edited by SgtToe; 03-27-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Congrats SgtToe! Very glad to see that you've ordered a kit!

You set an ambitious but well thought our plan! I wish you the best in your build of both printer and enclosure, if there's anything I can provide to help with the enclosure build please let me know!

I recommend this power supply http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007K2H0GI . I bought the one you linked to and woke up one morning to half a print done and the psu was off. The Meanwell is of much better quality and won't burn your house down.

Technician
    Update for this week:

Printer order status changed last night from in process to complete. Looks like Makerfarm shipped it last night and it will arrive on Monday.

Power supply arrived from Amazon this week, it is the one I put in my first post not the one mattanonymous recommended as I had already ordered it.

Also this week I got my Ocoto Pi up and running with the web cam. Next I need to get the relay board going, it came in this week also.

I still need to pick up the glass and the wire, I'm planing on just buying the wire by the foot from home depot and not going with speaker wire but stranded wire of the specified gauge, anyone see any issues with that? I have seen folks refer to "silicon wire" is this just wire with silicon insulation? I was disapointed when Home Depot told me they don't cut glass, so I'll have to check local hardware stores.

Technician
    Oh, another question I had:

I have spool of ABS coming from makerfarm. What should I get and how should I use it to make the print stick to the glass? I see hairspray and glue stick mentioned. I think I will go with the purple elmers glue stick for now, the sheet of PIE in another post looks good but I have shot all of my money getting the kit and supplies so I can't afford the sheet of PIE for now. I was thinking the glue stick over the hair spray because I thought there would be issues with over spray getting onto the printer it self, or all over the enclosure.

Love to hear how you use hairspray or glue stick. thanks

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    I use a sheet of PEI now but used the hairspray first. Never got around to trying the glue stick. I just sprayed an even coat close to the glass in the area that I was printing, didn't really notice any over spray. Lowe's cut my glass for me by the way. for most of my wire I went with 12 gage solid wire, which seems to work well.

Student
    Hi SgtToe,

I use the glue sticks with no issues. I was going to use hairspray, but I didn't have any on hand and my kids didn't even notice when I stole their glue stick! At first I did have issue with the abs peeling from the glass, but I found another post on here about flipping the fan so it pulls the across the hotend instead of blowing on the hotend. I also printed the fan hood that clips right on the fan and directs the air flow straight up.

I have the .4 hexagon 1.75

hey I ordered the same power supply that you did if you have any issues let me know

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by neverlift View Post
    hey I ordered the same power supply that you did if you have any issues let me know
    Will do. It was recommended by others on the form.

Technician
    Is this to much h warp? This is the bed of my 12" that arrived 4 hours ago, not sure if I should stop my build to get a replacement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast