Close

Technician

Greetings All and RUMBA question

Hi All,

First time posting in this form, I have only been in the Makerfarm sub form but figured I should post a level up for this question. I am new to all of this and have not yet ordered my printer kit.

Looking at:
    http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.p...ware_Resources

It appears that Rumba boards support 5 interfaces for temperature sensors. I understand that thermistors would be used for bed and hot end, but what kind of sensor would I hook up if I wanted to measure the air temperature on the inside of my enclosure? I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it appears that the board only has two pins and this would take 3.

Also, if I was sensing air temp inside the enclosure, is there a way to set the board to turn on one of the fans (venting enclosure) if the internal temp went above a preset setting?

Thanks

Senior Engineer
    The DTH11 requires digital control. Thermistors and thermocouples are analogue devices. If you want to measure enclosure temperature then all you need is a thermistor inside the cabinet.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    The DTH11 requires digital control. Thermistors and thermocouples are analogue devices. If you want to measure enclosure temperature then all you need is a thermistor inside the cabinet.
    Are all thermistors able to measure air temp?

Senior Engineer
    Yes.

A thermistor is just a resistor really, they all alter their resistance with temperature it is just that the particular feature is concentrated on in the design to make it vary more, same ability with thermocouples.

In thermistors the resistance normally lowers as temperature increases, those type are called NTC, negative temperature coefficient. You can also get PTCs if you need them. As far as I know all 3d printer hardware uses NTC types. Don't quote me on that.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    Yes.

A thermistor is just a resistor really, they all alter their resistance with temperature it is just that the particular feature is concentrated on in the design to make it vary more, same ability with thermocouples.

In thermistors the resistance normally lowers as temperature increases, those type are called NTC, negative temperature coefficient. You can also get PTCs if you need them. As far as I know all 3d printer hardware uses NTC types. Don't quote me on that.
    Thanks for the education. I had emailed the maker of the kit I am planning to buy and he said he thought but was not sure if a thermistor was sensitive enough to measure air temp.

Senior Engineer
    It is, I use one for chamber temperature on my Wanhao. I also use one for water temperature in my laser cutter and have lots measuring air temperature using a PIC.