Close

View Poll Results: Would You be Interested in a Shredder to Recycle Plastics for 3D Printing?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

3 33.33%
  • Yes

3 33.33%
  • Maybe

1 11.11%
  • No

2 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Would You be Interested in a Plastic Shredder to Recycle Plastics for 3D Printing?

Plastic waste is a major problem in the world and this could provide a large impact on the amount of waste produced in 3D printing and general consumption. A shredder could be used to recycle 3D printing waste, plastic bottles, toys, etc. The list is endless. A shredder could provide chips that some 3D printers can use directly but also be used to create filament for others.
    Last edited by Jsreb; 03-18-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Engineer
    Not interested knowing our current state, people just start throwing all kind of plastics altogether. Not to mention you would be mixing polymers , which will be a pain to deal after.

Yes, but when you look at the cost of the ones on sale... they are as expensive as low cost printers.
    Also to get real small chips I think you need a 2 level machine and I haven't seen that just yet.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Yes, but when you look at the cost of the ones on sale... they are as expensive as low cost printers.
    Also to get real small chips I think you need a 2 level machine and I haven't seen that just yet.
    I think the cruncher has that covered. Not sure if its a 2 level or not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KrTFz_diE0

Banned
    Why all the push back from people? A plastic shredder would be a phenomenal addition to the 3D printing industry, recycling plastics will be the single best contribution humanity can do to the environment after we've been wrecking it for the past 100 years.

Student
    I do not think would work for me... I guess invested in 3D printers to make something quick and use it with ease.
    I do not think should take all this too serious... Then we are talking for a factory... not a casual use ... even for business 3D printers are only for
    small business ... Therefore a shredder or cruncher would just add to the complexity... Then need a plastic extruder to make filament ... so more complexity...

Concerning environment... Well shredders or cutters or whatever will too add some additional environment wreckage.... So I consider it as plus - minus....

I am gonna keep it simple... Will 3d Print and use new cartridges each time..

The duration it takes for plastics such as PET to decompose is longer than they have been used for bottling plastic. Therefore all plastic used for water bottles are still in existence. Only about 30% of these end up in landfills and most overflows into the oceans and lakes. Since 3D printing produces a lot of waste, recycling the printed components or any household plastics could make a generous impact on the waste produced. It is understood that a shredder would be useful for a limited 3D printing market (hobbbyists and SMBs with a proper printer). The result can reduce the cost of filament and reduce the amount of plastic waste. Although a shredder would have a rather high cost, it is an investment to save over an extended period of time and provide the benefits of DIY customization for printing.

I appreciate any feedback about this topic so far. I am presenting about the impact 3D printing has on plastic waste and what methods could reduce plastic waste altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I think the cruncher has that covered. Not sure if its a 2 level or not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KrTFz_diE0
    My point exactly : seen the price tag on that one ?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
    Why all the push back from people? A plastic shredder would be a phenomenal addition to the 3D printing industry, recycling plastics will be the single best contribution humanity can do to the environment after we've been wrecking it for the past 100 years.
    Because you would barely help the environment, and you will spent an ammount of energy to process it. That energy isn't free and they come from coil/fuel power plant most of the time. Pollution will be made into another form.

On top of that, you would have to separate the plastic which takes times and ressource, because people tend to mix stupid stuff when they are told otherwise, as an industrial perspective.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    My only intent is to recover wasted ABS filament. All my waste goes in a box, and when I have enough, I make filament. I'm looking for grinders and extruders now. I don't care about mixing colors, as most of us make lots of things that aren't color dependent.

So yes, I would be interested in a consumer level grinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast