Close

Engineer

Giant T-Rex Mask

Here's what I've been making for the past 2 weeks. But I've hit a snag! I can't seem to find a good enough/safe enough way to Acetone vapor smooth something this large. Any idea's on how I could go about this? Tried a few thing's already but no luck.

-Was gonna upload all the pic's but I can't seem to do it other than 1 at a time on here =/ Check out all the pic's at http://www.thingiverse.com/make:126268

*More info:
    Printed in 14 part's. Had to re-make one part 3x. All part's were at 10% infill, and had a few issues with Simplify3D making poor infill so there is that also. Glued and painted ABS+Acetone glue around every seam.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bassna; 03-18-2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: More info

Technician
    That is awesome!
    Sorry, I can't help with the smoothing issue; haven't had the need to do it (yet).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep get a used metal drum - most garages/car shops will let you have them for nothing. Thye buy lube/oil etc in them.
    Give it a good clean out. Make something out of wood for the mask to sit on and then use it as a giant vapour tank.
    There's one behind my wood working shed that never got made into a UDS (ugly drum smoker).
    Get one with a removeable lid - saves cutting the top off.

Job's a good un :-)

How many pieces did you print the mask in and what did you use to chop it into bits ?
    (okay 14 bits, but what did you chop it up with ?)

Engineer
    Yeah that might be the route I have to go curious aardvark. And about the splitting, here is the comment's the guy had mentioned about it. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:324665/#comments although he didn't really say, just that it was "powerful and expensive software"

I did find/use this one time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfqlfGxJXf8

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Eeek! what is the final weight??? that is awesome!

Can I ask how long to print all up roughly? I wonder if we could calculate based off yours how long it would take to do a full scale gigantic one!
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Eeek! what is the final weight??? that is awesome!

Can I ask how long to print all up roughly? I wonder if we could calculate based off yours how long it would take to do a full scale gigantic one!
    I've been trying to find something to weigh it with :P no luck yet. I am going to guess around 4lb or so. At 10% infill. I know though, how cool would the full scale one be at your house. I would have a whole separate room for it lol

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Post office can weigh it.

I've found brushing on Acetone works too. Just practice a bit. Of course, something this big would not be an easy or fast project to brush.

Get a big plastic bin from a store, like a rubbermaid storage bin. If you're doing the magnet to paper towel method for acetone, just put magnets on both side of the plastic. A clear bin would allow you to observe the progress.

Engineer
    I'll have to give brushing it on a try on something later. I've just kind of put it up on the fireplace until I figured out a good way to do it. I have not heard of any way of doing it with magnet's. The way I tried was just to soak some paper towels in acetone and he had set it on the brim of the Tupperware container. I may have just not used enough acetone and paper towel's, its a pretty large container.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    weigh with bathroom scales, or a cheap set of fishing scales from a buck store.
    Basically spring and a hook :-)

Full size - now that's ambition geoff !

T-rex skull is about 5 feet long !

Printed in 9x6x6 inch increments - that's just insane.
    Why not just make it out of paper mache the old fashioned way :-)

Hell even on a 3dp unlimited you'd have to print it in 2 sections.