Close

Metal Printing - company project

Hello.

I hope this question is easy to answer.

I have been producing custom trophies for my company and the cost is getting pretty high. We normally get these My boss recommended I check out 3d printing to see if this can be done. This is a trophy we have done in the past:

I have been doing some superficial research but not being finding an answer to the following questions.

How big can I go to print 3d? The most recent trophy is over 40inches?

And, is the above something that can accomplished with this way, or is it too rough?

Would it be "economical" (below 20k)?

Any insight that can be shared would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    If by below '20k' you mean buying a machine - then the answer is definitely no.

If you mean actually getting the trophy made then - yes.

There are plenty of metal printers that will build that size.
    Not sure about the jewel insets or the crystal mnounts. But I don't see that as a problem.

You're going to need post processing - no matter what process you use.

You're best bet is to contact a company that does metal printing services.

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    There are plenty of metal printers that will build that size.
    I can't think of any in direct metal?

If such a machine does exist then at 1 meter high 20k would be pushing it for a finished item (though may be possible.)

You could make it way below budget using either sand printing for sand casting (will require lots of finishing)

Or printing multiple waxes which will then be melted together for investment casting. Quality will be very good (large scale jewellery making) and you can add jewels in.

Thank you VERY VERY much for your response. I already feel a lot more enlightened.

Now, with 3d printing of metal, how is the two tone of metal pulled off? Is it all just post-processing and finishing?

Also, JSenior mentioned sand casting. How is that different?

Technician
    If you would wish to cheat a little (as trophies are decorative items I think it would do your job):You could use a standard ABS/PLA printer, and use one or more of the metal infused filament's for printing. I have seen very good results, though some finish polishing is needed.If you go this route, you will be able to use a printer that has multiple extruders, thus allowing you to switch filaments being used in mid print, and making different metal appearances easy.I do not know about what is available for the size you need though, most of the ones I have looked into are for smaller work (the one I am building is going to be limited to 10 inches high by 8 inches wide by 20 inches long). I would also expect that speed would be a concern, so that would likely up the cost as well. For a ABS/PLA extrusion printer that would fit your needs (speed, and size), I am thinking you are looking at around $5000 for a premade unit.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I don't think they're interested in cheating if they have a $20,000 budget for a trophy.

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    The only way I would consider cheating is using these guys: http://www.3ddc.eu/ (assuming they can manage that size.) You can do a very high quality SLA print and then 'metalise it' - the result should be very impressive and under-budget:

To Sand Cast it you're glueing layers of sand together to created the pattern and then casting it. The result straight out of casting will be rough but will give them the basis to then finish (look at ex-one and voxeljet machines)

With the investment casting you'll print lots of seperate wax prints which will then be melted together (you won't be able to notice they're separate prints.) You'll then create an investment shell around it (look at the MK Cyclone Machines) - the wax will be burnt out from inside and your metal will then be poured in under vacuum pressure. This will give a great finish (will still need polishing - but it is how custom jewellery is made on a larger scale.) The prints will be much more expensive however (potentially still within budget.)
    Attached Images Attached Images