Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Looking to purchase Prusa Iv3 12" with questions.

With my tax return I was looking to purchase a bigger and better printer and am very interested in the 12" version of the Prusa.

I just have a few questions.

1. The manual states they do not recommend ATX power supplies, is there a reason behind this? Also, is there a power supply you would recommend besides the one in the manual?

2. Ramps vs Rumba. Their website doesn't have a good description of either and I am more inclined to purchase Rumba from the fact that between the two Rumba is the only one that supports fan's (according to their website). What would you recommend?

3. On my current printer I used Blue Tape is this okay to use with the Prusa?

Finally, is there anything else I should know before purchasing?

Engineer-in-Training
    I'll try and answer these as best I can, even though my answers might not be the best hah!

1. ATX supplies are used a lot, and indeed users here use them with their MakerFarm's. Some ATX supplies have the advantage that they can be used with a 5v line (I believe) to trigger them on and off, which can be handy if you want to not only remote control your printer, but even remotely control its power. That being said, some people have had some bad incidents (some ATX supplies need a quick mod to work correctly), and two, the MakerFarm kit has a handy mounting area for a 'flat-pack' style supply. Colin has recommended these in the past: http://openbuildspartstore.com/12v-30a-power-supply/ I use them every day at work (albeit 18v) and they are awesome

2. Rumba has additional power outputs (6 vs 3), 24v power options, smaller than a ramps board, and a few additional 5v/12v outputs. I would argue that there is more documentation and support for RAMPS boards though. I personally have not used a Rumba, but I like it's features and size compared to RAMPS.

3. Sure! I used it for a long time when printing PLA. I would strongly suggest though, since you have a heated bed, when printing PLA, remove the tape and use Elmers Washable Glue (the purple glue sticks) on bare glass heated to 70C. Absolutely amazing, parts stick like no tomorrow, and so quick and easy to clean up afterwards!

Student
    This is the reply I got back from Colin when I asked about instructions for hooking up an i3v 12" with a RAMBo board to an ATX power supply:

"Hi Mark,
    We don't have instructions for atx power supplies since they typically always cause damage to the connectors on the relay and electronics, the wires are too small to provide enough current so we only recommend using the 12v 30 amp power supply,

Thanks,
    Colin"

Food for thought, I guess.

Engineer-in-Training
    Thank you for the replies!

The power supply that Colin recommends is currently out of stock. Any others that anyone recommends? If a lot of people are having issues with ATX then I will go with what Colin suggests.

Does anyone have any other comments about Ramps vs Rumba?

This is the one most of us use. Same thing as the one Colin suggests.
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer-Project/dp/B00D7CWSCG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426027273&sr=8-2&keywords=30+a+power+supply

Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Thank you for the replies!

The power supply that Colin recommends is currently out of stock. Any others that anyone recommends? If a lot of people are having issues with ATX then I will go with what Colin suggests.

Does anyone have any other comments about Ramps vs Rumba?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    Thank you for the amazon link! Its a good thing I need to place an order with Amazon today

Glad i could help!
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Thank you for the amazon link! Its a good thing I need to place an order with Amazon today

Engineer-in-Training
    Printer is ordered and Power Supply is next while I wait.

Engineer-in-Training
    I have been home from work as I have been ill the last few days.

So I have been reading over some threads and had a few questions.

I notice some people use an after market coupler for the Z motor and all thread. Can anyone link me to one of these couplers, preferably Amazon?

Is there anything else I should order while I am waiting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast