Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Well I'm back! The parts finally arrived earlier this week, and I managed to get some good progress on the build so far.

First up, this week at work was our 'engineering week', part of that being a display of the various projects co-workers are working on. I was able to set up a small table with some printed parts, the first printer, and the frame of the current design. The response was tremendous, and the display was packed all afternoon!

Now, back to the build, I've managed to assemble the X carriage and extruder. After a bit of searching for the right spring, I was able to have a complete functioning extruder. I'm fairly pleased with the outcome and its tension, but time will tell how it functions for the first print, though so far, all signs are looking good.

Lastly, the bearing carriers for all axis' have been assembled. I've redesigned several parts slightly, and re-designed the lower bed, but those changes will make it into future builds for the time being.

More to come soon!

Ryan

Engineer-in-Training
    I forgot to mention that the printer has gone through a few revisions as well. The printer is now V2, Revision C.

• Captured nuts on the Z axis to remove any lash
    • Extended supports on the extruder motor housing
    • Revised lower extruder base
    • 4 piece lower bed design, reduces printing time over a single piece, and fits into build volume of printer
    • Increased build volume to 176x160x150mm
    • Revised spool holder with filament guide
    • Lower and upper frame assemblies revised to include mounting fixtures for future upgrades
    • Reduced overall lower and upper frame foot prints by 4mm
    • The rear of the frame will also include mounting points for future additions/upgrades:
      • Second spool holder mount
      • Large electronics enclosure to accommodate RUMBA/Azteeg controllers or a RaspberryPi and RAMPS 1.4 combination
      • Bowden Dual extruder configuration (this isolates the extruders from the moving platforms via a Bowden connection and PFTE tubing
      • Future camera mount for RaspberryPi camera/wireless printing

• The upper and lower frames have also be designed to accept cosmetic feet and an upper carrying handles
    • The extruder carriage has been re-designed to accept a micro servo with micro-switch for auto bed leveling

Overall, while no one part is significantly different from the initial design, all of the small changes make the printer more robust, capable and expandable, without having to replace or upgrade components in the future.

Engineer
    Ah man you are great! I need to get myself motivated like that. Curious, what do you put the cost of this printer at for you? In filament, and part's ordered online? It looks great! Please continue to keep us posted!

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    Ah man you are great! I need to get myself motivated like that. Curious, what do you put the cost of this printer at for you? In filament, and part's ordered online? It looks great! Please continue to keep us posted!
    Thanks Bassna! Cost wise, the parts and mechanical components have cost around $300. There is just under 1KG of filament, which I bought locally for about $35. Including hardware sourced from local suppliers, that was another $50. In the future, I've found a cheaper supplier for most of the components, so the cost could be brought down by about $100, but as it stands, the average user would be able to source all the components and filament for around $300-$350.
    Last edited by MiniMadRyan; 03-30-2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Updated photos

Engineer-in-Training
    Well, here it is! It's finished!

The build progress went smoothly, with no major issues or snags. I was surprised at how quickly this printer came together, that it was built and wired in about 6 hours total. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how this printer has turned out. The build volume is generous, and the overall footprint makes it as wide and tall as my last printer, but not nearly as deep. The rigidity is also quite good, and I'm especially pleased with the rigidity of the X axis. That's not to say there won't be upgrades in the future though. I plan to release the files and design for this printer later on this week, only after I've revised some parts to include some additional features, and even more strength, but overall, I'm extremely pleased with this printer, and can't wait to see others building it too!

Cheers

Ryan

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadRyan View Post
    Well, here it is! It's finished!

The build progress went smoothly, with no major issues or snags. I was surprised at how quickly this printer came together, that it was built and wired in about 6 hours total. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how this printer has turned out. The build volume is generous, and the overall footprint makes it as wide and tall as my last printer, but not nearly as deep. The rigidity is also quite good, and I'm especially pleased with the rigidity of the X axis. That's not to say there won't be upgrades in the future though. I plan to release the files and design for this printer later on this week, only after I've revised some parts to include some additional features, and even more strength, but overall, I'm extremely pleased with this printer, and can't wait to see others building it too!

Cheers

Ryan
    So cool! Do you have a place where you are going to be putting all the file's and a how-to and part's list :P I'd love to try to make this. Have you been using it at all lately? Wondering how it's printing!

Engineer-in-Training
    Thanks!

Like the last printer, I plan on having everything on YouMagine, as well as 3DShare here as well. I'm working on a build guide as we speak, although it's a bit slower progress.

I have indeed printed a few calibration pieces on the printer so far. I've been working on the guide more than anything so I haven't had tons of time to devote to printing with it just yet. I've uploaded a short video of a small print last night to YouTube: https://youtu.be/9_skkFyPIS8

Lastly, here's the first few pages from the build guide as an example of what I'm compiling:

Here's hoping I'll have the guide, printer files, BOM and everything else shortly!

Ryan

Impressive dude!...WOW. Continue the good work!
    lol. I see where you got your color inspiration from... (needle nose)

Good to see they restored the forum and you didn't lose your post.
    Looks like it prints nicely based off your video.

Technologist
    Great. I love the guide. The printer looks amazing!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast